Options

Job description is not equal to experience would you apply?

Guys,

Need some advice I will be having a pre-employment exam and interview this coming week. The title of the position is

Field Engineer

Req'd Education: 2 Year Degree Base Pay: $33,842 - $50,752/Year
Req'd Experience: At Least 1 Year Employee Type: Full-Time Employee
Req'd Travel: Not Specified Industry: Banking - Financial Services, Credit - Loan - Collections, Not for Profit - Charitable
Relocation Covered: No Manages Others:

Diagnose and repair personal computer, network peripherals, system software and applications.
Installs software and user utilities for modifications and upgrades of operating systems and workstation environments.
Installs hardware and peripheral components such as monitors, keyboards, printers, and disk drives on user's premises.
Loads specified software packages such as operating systems, word processing, or spreadsheet programs into computer.
Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex PC problems for a variety of end users, and recommend and implement corrective hardware solutions, including off-site repair as needed.
Instructs users in use of equipment, software, and manuals.
Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
Installs and tests software upgrades.
Performing preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals.
Install and manage the desktop anti-virus software.
Recommends or performs minor remedial actions to correct problems.
Assist users with their questions concerning the applications they run, network technical support and the Internet.
Interact with software and hardware vendors regarding upgrades, technical support, pricing and software licensing.
Acts as liaison with manufacturers and vendors of software and application products, especially with regard to problem diagnosis and resolution.
Coordinates activities with help desk, network services, or other information systems groups.
Provides updates, status, and completion information to manager, problem request tracking system, and/or users, via voice mail, e-mail, or in-person communication.
Replaces defective or inadequate software packages.
Work with 3rd party vendor to setup new users and relocates existing users with telephone extensions, calling features, voice mail, and access codes.
Develops and writes procedures for hardware and software installation, use, and troubleshooting.
Read technical manuals and brochures to determine equipment which meets establishment requirements.
Tests and evaluates hardware and software to determine efficiency, reliability, and compatibility with existing system.
Determines type and quantity of equipment to be installed.
Inspects users premises to ascertain location and space available for installation of equipment.
Prepares cost estimate for equipment and installation and submits data to supervisor for authorization.
Prepare equipment for installation for new branch locations, monitor progress of installation to ensure facilities are ready on specified date.
Coordinates with electrician to provide dedicated power, grounding, and required number of outlets.
Specifies cable types, number of pairs, types of modular jacks, cross connects, hubs, intermediate distribution frames, and equipment racks.
Coordinates cable installation with cable vendor.
Creates cable plant diagrams and cable records designating and referencing all cables with their respective floor locations.
Prepares floor plans of equipment arrangement for branch installs.
Maintains up-to-date records of cable systems, equipment inventory, spares, and floor plans.
Coordinates installation of all new users added to the system and relocations of existing users.
Performs software upgrades as needed.
Maintain and monitor traffic measurements and operations, and traffic studies for all branch locations.
Develops and writes procedures for installation, use, and solving problems of communications hardware and software.
Advise your supervisor on product development issues arising from product problems identified through technical support calls with customers.
Visits vendors to learn about available products, enhancements, or services.
Aid in development of business continuity and disaster recovery plans, maintain current knowledge of plan executables, and respond to crises in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
Provide guidance to junior members of the team as required.
Some weekend work may be required for upgrades, testing and maintenance; working hours are subject to change in keeping with the needs of the department.
Some travel may be required to other branch locations for troubleshooting, and installations.

Would you think this is an entry level job? since they are only asking for at least 1 year experience? because some part of this job description i already got some experience and some are not. What do you think should I do during the interview to get this job because i feel nervous if they hired me then some of the job description i dont have yet experience.

Comments

• Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely apply, all that can happen is they don't hire you and sometimes if you show initiative and motivation in an interview they will hire you even with lack of experience as they can always train you. I got hired in my current job because I "was more hungry" than the other guy who had more certs and experience than me (the boss told me this after hiring me), it gave them the idea I would likely be someone who would stick around if I got hired rather than stay there till something better popped up (he told me that as well).
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go ahead and apply. Good first impressions and good interview skills can overcome a lack of experience.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Apply, its not going to hurt you or do any harm.

You never know whether if you will get the job or not. But if you don't try, you will miss out a lot of great learning opportunities.
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for the motivation..

I will do my best on the pre-employment exam and interview..

What do you think is the best answer if they ask me on a part that i dont have the experience..i need some good idea.
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□

I will do my best on the pre-employment exam and interview..

What do you think is the best answer if they ask me on a part that i dont have the experience..i need some good idea.
    I would answer honestly something like "I have never had experience with that, but I would be more than happy to learn or study for any requirements of the job, I believe in improving myself and in doing so becoming more of an asset to my employer"- something along those lines might make a good impression even if you lack some experience. One thing that will make people drop you like a rock is if they think your are lying in your answers or trying to bs your way through questions.
  • Options
    thanks borumas,

i will be honest as i can be and what you mentioned is a big help for me in preparing for the interview. thanks a lot i will update once i finished the interview
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always apply for positions I don't have all the quals for. As long as you explain that up-front and how you are willing to upskill to achieve the necessary level.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be careful with that job. Be sure that it is what you want.

I'm a field tech, just started in june. It's a LOT of driving. If you don't mind getting sent all over the place, then go for it. But make sre that it is something you want to do.

It's not a bad job. I enjoy what I do. Just a warning though. It is a lot of driving. Luckily I'm getting paid by the hour.
  • Options
    drthtater

Yah i think so theres a lot of driving maybe within there branch bec. this job is for a local bank. I will get the full details on my interview.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, definately apply. The worst thing that can happen is that they simply tell you "no". The best thing that could happen is "Yes, and get ready for LOTS of training." Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    jetd,
    I've never seen a job posting where the requirements met the salary range. Every job I've (and most others) applied for had more requirements that I had skills.

We used to give some pretty brutal panel interviews when I was a LAN tech. We explained that they wouldn't be able to answer most of the questions we asked before we began the interview. What we were looking for was someone that was well rounded enough and driven enough to know where to find the answer and someone who was honest as regards their strengths/weaknesses.

Our reasoning was there will be situations in the position where you just don't know what the problem is and if you've shown us you can reason through finding the solution you'd be an asset to the team.

And as someone else mentioned, do not lie or try to BS. Driving a BSer to tears was the best part of those interviews. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Guys,

Just finish my interview today it was one on one at first with the Network Admin. guy and Its a combination of actual and written exam.... He is a nice guy all he wants to know is how i approach a certain troubleshooting problem.. after that i was also invterview by the VP of Information Technology , They told me that the result will be known by next week coz they have to finish some interview with other applicants. Hopefully i can get this job...