Options

The Beast is just a pussy cat... 960 first go!

BeefchiefBeefchief Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've just arrived home from my 291 exam where I scored a 960, which was better than my 270 and 290 scores!

I used MS Self Paced Training Kit (Second Edition), CBT Nuggets, and Transender. I studied for about 4 months off and on and all of them were very helpful. I think the main difference between this exam and the others were the Transender practice exams - the first time I used them and definitely not the last!

I also had the Sybex book but I never used it. Too many extra facts to absorb and I thought it was a drier read than the MS book.

My advice is if the exam is going to be a tough one, don't skimp on study materials and set up a lab. If you're still confused about a topic, go to Technet - the MS book was a bit light on security so Technet helped me out with things like IPSec and Kerberos.

Just a note about the exam I sat: they have already updated the questions to test WSUS so make sure you know how it works. Also *there is only a basic calculator in the exam*! So know your subnet octet numbers and powers of two off the top of your head!

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Congrats! Nice score.
    witty comment
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Great score!! Congratz!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks for sharing the tips on the books and WSUS.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    icon_eek.gif

great score!!!!!!!!!!!!
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Great! Still, I don't know about pussycat. Sounds like you studied pretty hard.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done ! And thanks for the advice... Getting ready to sit for this one (10 days 2 go)..... anyway Congrats !!!
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • Options
    JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Beefchief wrote:
    Just a note about the exam I sat: they have already updated the questions to test WSUS so make sure you know how it works. Also *there is only a basic calculator in the exam*! So know your subnet octet numbers and powers of two off the top of your head!

Did you try and change the Calculator view from Standard to Scientific? The reason I ask is because another user who took the exam stated differently. Here is the link to the post -> http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18430

Thanks.

JLuna
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Thanks for the information regarding WSUS. I hear questions a lot on whether Microsoft has updated their exams to include WSUS. Definitely good to know.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    BeefchiefBeefchief Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jluna wrote:
    Did you try and change the Calculator view from Standard to Scientific? The reason I ask is because another user who took the exam stated differently. Here is the link to the post -> http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18430

Thanks.

JLuna

I hope I was stupid enough to miss the view menu, but I'd like to hear a third opinion icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just an FYI, but the testing center I take my exam at doesn't allow you to use scientific calculators. A couple of my coworkers go to a different testing center and they stated that their testing center gives you a scientific calculator. It depends on the testing center.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Very interesting. I will be making sure to schedule my exam at a center that does allow you to use a scientific calculator.

Thank you both for the info.

JLuna
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    That's just not fair. I would think all testing centers should have the same standards. Cameras int he rooms, no drinks, etc. The testing center I use doesn't allow me to take anything into the room except a dry erae board and marker that they provide. I took an exam at another site because my primary testing site was booked, and they allowed me to take my Palm Treo in, study material, and everything else I brought with me. That was crazy, and I could have swore I was on candid camera or something...except there weren't any cameras icon_lol.gif .

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:
    That's just not fair. I would think all testing centers should have the same standards. Cameras int he rooms, no drinks, etc. The testing center I use doesn't allow me to take anything into the room except a dry erae board and marker that they provide. I took an exam at another site because my primary testing site was booked, and they allowed me to take my Palm Treo in, study material, and everything else I brought with me. That was crazy, and I could have swore I was on candid camera or something...except there weren't any cameras icon_lol.gif .

Famos

. . . and where did you say this testing center is located ;)

Actually, under those conditions, I would have rescheduled the exam at a different center. I wouldn't want the integrity of my certification to come under question.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    jluna wrote:
    famosbrown wrote:

Famos

. . . and where did you say this testing center is located ;)

Actually, under those conditions, I would have rescheduled the exam at a different center. I wouldn't want the integrity of my certification to come under question.

LOL...the location is Indianapolis...I'll leave it at that icon_wink.gif .

I had no choice at all if I wanted to get the exam done soon. Everyone else was booked for two weeks, including my primary testing site New Horizons.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)