probably a stupid question

johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
my employer is trying to become cisco certified gold. So, anyone who can grab a CCNA will look pretty good in the eyes of mangement. I do have a Network+ and some basic networking experience, but no specific cisco experience. Just wnodering what I'm look at as far as preperation time for this cert. Just looking for responses on how other people have done, how long it took them and where their knowledge level was at the time when they started. All posts appreciated. :D
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the forum CCNA FAQ for an idea what you're up against.

The Network+ overlaps with the INTRO portion of the CCNA, but the guts of the CCNA is really in the ICND material.

But you've got certs..... so if you're motivated (and have the networking gene) you could probably do it in a month of study and hands on practice. A noob might need 3-4 months.... or more.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote:
    The Network+ overlaps with the INTRO portion of the CCNA, but the guts of the CCNA is really in the ICND material.

But you've got certs..... so if you're motivated (and have the networking gene) you could probably do it in a month of study and hands on practice. A noob might need 3-4 months.... or more.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not CCNA certified, but I've been doing some "CCNA-level" work as of late. The local Cisco guru here at my work feels like I've got enough general networking knowledge to really just need to study up on Cisco-specific things, like commands and router settings.

If you're in the same boat, and you've got some experience, along the lines of Net+, and you've got access to doing projects related to your CCNA studying at work, you should be able to pull off the test in a much shorter amount of time than a noob.

I'm going to go with mikej412's estimate, and say that 4 to 6 weeks is very doable. If you've got general networking experience, and you can convince your boss to let you do some hands-on projects at work to go along with your book-studying, you should be able to do it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.