Options

Networking Qualifications Question...

mattiplermattipler Member Posts: 175
Morning guys,

I'm currently working studying toward my CCNA SEM 3 certification and ultimately my CCNA.

This is my first IT qualification that I've done and I was just wondering what other qualifications would be useful to have along side a CCNA. Also how hard are they say when compared to the CCNA (which I find is tough but interesting and I'm enjoying it). Once I have my CCNA (which I know will be hard but I will get there) along with getting another job I want to start working toward another networking qualification.

How highly rated is the CCNA within the networking profession?

CCNP perhaps? How much more advanced is the CCNP?

I look at some of the qualications you guys have noted on your profiles and they don't mean a thing too me... icon_redface.gif

Any advice/suggestions?

Nice one guys. :)
Matt of England

Comments

• Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    CCNA is very highly rated among employers. It show that the person with the CCNA has had hands on experience in configuring and trouble shooting routers and switches, and that they also have the 'book smarts' as well.

It is extreamly important to have the technical knowledge but also know how and why things work and how to fix them.

Obviously the CCNP is a higher rated exam but the CCNA when you would start if you were planning on the CCNP.

As for the other qualicifactions sucj as network + and all that other + stuff..... i dont know much about them, i just went for my CCNA cuz that is what was being asked for mostly in the job adds..
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Thanks for that response mate...

Anyone tell me a little about other networking qualifactions and how they compare to CCNA etc? :D
    Matt of England
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

Have you considered the CompTIA Network+ exam? This is more entry level than the CCNA but gives a more broad of networking in general as opposed to Cisco specific networking.

I've done Net+ and CCNA and they are overlapped slightly but the advantage of the network+ exam is that you are a certified Network engineer for life. Cisco CCNA you need to either go to the next level i.e. CCNP of re-certify after 3 years, therefore you really need to be working with Cisco kit to keep up to speed.

The net+ exam is £180 in the UK. CCNA is £98 in the UK as I sit my CCNA in Jan 23rd. (I've done CCNA curriculum, just brushing up now and practising on home lab of Cisco 1721 router and Cisco 2950 Switch).

If you want to know anything else let me know, but it really depends on what aspect of networking you go into on which certification track you take i.e. servers, Microsoft/linux/unix networking, comms etc

Cheers

Malc
  • Options
    Cheers for the response Malc! Appreciated mate and I'll have a look into the Network +.

I had no idea that a CCNA is no longer valid only 3 years after passing the exam! It takes two years to get through the academy!!! Does the same go for the CCNP? No longer valid after 3 years? How long is the academy for CCNP? Another 2 years? Is the CCNP and entirely different ball game to the CCNA or is it only a slight extension of knowledge?
    Matt of England
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mattipler wrote:
    Cheers for the response Malc! Appreciated mate and I'll have a look into the Network +.

I had no idea that a CCNA is no longer valid only 3 years after passing the exam! It takes two years to get through the academy!!! Does the same go for the CCNP? No longer valid after 3 years? How long is the academy for CCNP? Another 2 years? Is the CCNP and entirely different ball game to the CCNA or is it only a slight extension of knowledge?

Matt,

Not sure about CCNP, it's a bit ahead of me at the moment so I've not really looked into it, but it is significantly more technical than the CCNA......maybe one of the CCNP certified guys can advise how long the cert is valid for after passing and required study time, anyone?

In regard to timescales of passing exams it depends on what your course track is at college/uni/school and how much time you can dedicate yourself to passing the exam. I done the CCNA initially 4 years ago through the curriculum whilst studying at college doing a HND in Computing (2nd year of HND) and probably could have passed the exam (was scoring 90% on end of all 4 semester test exams) took me 12 months to learn the material to the extent to pass the exam but it was quite an intense course. I never even heard of Cisco before I done the course but I had a good instructor.

Back then I never got round to sitting the exam that summer, then I went to university and never got round to it due to developing my "life skills" at uni (drink and women) lol.

The current exam has changed slightly since I done the curriculum (previous exam 840-811 i think) but it's still the same fundamentals and it's the kind of thing you never forget if you learn it well in the first place. I have decided to do it now as I've been working in the field for 3 years now and already have the knowledge, I just need to refresh it.

Are you doing the CCNA self study or through a degree/college course?

Malc
  • Options
    Hey up Malc.

I'm in the Cisco networking academy doing my CCNA at night school. 3 hrs at college a week and then loads of home study!

Currently on the 3rd semester and really enjoying it. Some of the mathmatical stuff I find a challenge though.

Matt
    Matt of England
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would definetely stick with CCNP, after i'm done with CCNA if i were you, but then again it depends on what you're trying to achieve!
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    mattipler wrote:

Some people do their CCNA in a matter of months. Also, it's much easier on the second time around to renew the cert. CCNP is not an entirely different ball game, but it is also only valid for 3 years. It is a broadening and deepening of CCNA knowledge - with some new themes at the same time. CCNP builds on the assumed knowledge of the CCNA such as access lists, routing, switching, frame-relay, isdn, etc. New topics include BGP, IS-IS, VPNs, HSRP, more multi-cast info, route maps, wireless (new CCNP), & more. Check the Cisco site since the CCNP track has recently been modified.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You could also try one of the more specialized Profesional level certs like CCSP, CCDP, CCIP or CCVP. Once again, it depends on what your goals are.

I'm considering going the CCSP route once I have my CCNA.
  • Options
    Cheers for your help guys.

I've no idea what I want to pursue once I have the CCNA. I started the CCNA because after 7 years pc support and network admin there don't seem to be anymore doors open too me.

What I do know is that I want to keep advancing and getting more qualifications under my belt. :D
    Matt of England