Options

Errors in CCNA text books?

JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
I have both CCNA Fast Pass by Todd Lammle (Sybex) and CCNA 2nd ed. Exam Cram (Que). Have you guys noticed any printing errors in this book? I've been a bit fed up with some of the careless mistakes they made in a few pages.

For instance, Exam Cram book, chapter 9, page 172-173. Page 173, third paragraph down, they mention "Bermuda router". Yet, its not even in the diagram on page 172. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this supposted to be the Honolulu router?

Lammle's book, chapter 2.1 page 64 and 65. Basic router config, they all use class C 192.168.x.x addresses. However on the bottom, last paragraph, he starts going on about 172.16.40.0. While this is easy to correct, it kinda makes me waste a couple minutes making sure that I'm reading everything right. Besides that, there are other strange typos around the book that I won't bring up unless requested.

Are these typos are what? Anyone else have the same books and want to double check for me?
CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
[IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.

Comments

• Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    regarding ExamCram, you are correct. There is also a typo on page 139. The last three lines of code for router on a stick should read:
    Router(config-sub-if)#encap dot1q 30 (not dot1q.30)
    !
    !Creates sub-interface for VLAN 30 and
    !applies IP address in VLAN30's subnet

• Options
    mp3spymp3spy Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, there is definitely errors in BOTH books. Don't sweat it, just keep an eye out...
    Ok CCNA BREAK IS OVER, TIME FOR CCSP!!!
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    don't know about ExamCram but i have FastPass and it has some typing errors, nothing major though, almost any book's got some.
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    mp3spymp3spy Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    n3tw0rkg0d wrote:
    don't know about ExamCram but i have FastPass and it has some typing errors, nothing major though, almost any book's got some.
    Another one in Exam Cram Bottom of Page 139 where they give you an example of creating sub interfaces on a router for inter vlan routing. Last sub interface they setup for f0/1.30 they say it creates a subinterface for VLAN 10 they mean VLAN 30 :)

-D
    Ok CCNA BREAK IS OVER, TIME FOR CCSP!!!
  • Options
    kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're right about the Exam Cram. Makes me feel like a dummy
    until I figure out it's a typo.
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Being able to notice misspelling and erroneous configuration examples is a good sign. You already know the material and have gained understanding enough for practical use :)
  • Options
    Here's another one. Exam Cram CCNA 2nd Ed. Chapter 9 page 197. This part explains OSPF DR and BDR elections. They say that "messages are sent to the multicast address of 224.0.0.6; both the DR and BDR belong to this multicast group address."

THEN, they go on to how the DR and BDR routers send messages back to all other routers to "multicast address of 224.0.0.5".

In figure 9.13, it says "DR sends to 224.0.0.6"

Shouldn't it say "DR sends to 224.0.0.5" ????
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Does the book have an web address for the errata? Much quicker to download that or at least for reference when you think you found an error.
  • Options
    I gave it a check at www.examcram.com, typed in my ISBN number (0789735024) here: http://www.examcram2.com/search/support.asp?rl=1

And it takes me to this page: http://www.examcram2.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0789735024&redir=1&rl=1

I don't see an errata section though icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    Exam cram, page 82 - Chapter 4 Exam prep questions, question #2, asks about the c1600-nosy-mz.120-25.bin

Basically its asking us characteristics of the IOS file naming convention, yet this part is covered in chapter 5 in the next couple of pages icon_rolleyes.gif

Getting tired of this....
  • Options
    In my Exam Cram book, on page 5, Ch.1 there is a Table 1.1 "comparing ethernet implementations". It says 802.3 10/100 Base T is half duplex. Yet on a Prep Logic practice exam it said the answer of 10 Base T was full duplex. Ok... so... which is the right answer guys?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Both have the capacity for Full. If you want to set them to full duplex you need a switch or a direct (and only) connection between NICs, with a hub it's half duplex.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Oh here's a good one. Exam cram 2nd ed. Chapter 7 (VLANS) page 143.

This page is the last question of the end of chapter review quiz. It says:

10. What IOS feature can logically divide a switch into mulitple, independent switches at Layer 2 without the use of a SawzAll?
    A. STP
    B. Vlans
    C. GigaStack
    D. VTP

Ok.... first off, I skimmed through the chapter and didn't see the term "Sawzall". Second, I think the author was trying to say "saws". Third, totally poor humor. icon_rolleyes.gif Am I missing a page in my book or is SawzAll a part of network terminology? Seriously, I'm trying to study here.

I already know the answer, but really as the last question of the review, its kinda irrelevant to quiz me on the definition of VLANS.

Also, question 9 asks "What elements are required in order to create a functioning VTP system between two switches?"
    And one of the answers is "G. One switch set to server, the other to Transparent mode."

This may work in some cases but is it required to have one switch to Transparent mode? I thought you could also do client mode without the transparent switch. Why is transparent REQUIRED? Why is this considered a 100% correct answer?
  • Options
    Answer Key to Practice test #2, answer 52 says A,D, its actually, A,B
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have teh first year companion 2nd edition from Cisco press. It is I am sure somewhat old. I am shocked at the out of order presentation of teh information. Several times the Elabs on teh CDrom are refering to information that doesnt show up until the following chapter or even several chapters later. Also, after about chapter 18 videos that you are instructed to watch by the text for vital information are just missing! The buttons for teh videos show up in the interface but they dont do anything. They arent even in the videos folder! Chapter 24 was a stumper, I still havent completed the eLab for it becasue the chapter and the elab are talking about totally different things. Oh well I am almost done actually, no sure if I am close to ready to spend the $150 to see if I pass though. Are there any online practice tests that arent come-ons to buy a CDrom?
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    UPDATE!

I picked up the 3rd Edition of the CCNA Exam Cram book. Well what do you know, I found more silly errors. Some of them more critical than on the 2nd Edition. I actually emailed them this time because I was really fed up about it. Here's the memo...
    Page 332

There is a quiz at the end of this chapter.
    Question 9: "What is wrong with the Ukraine configuration?"

there is a figure/diagram of the router configuration. It says Ukraine router Fa0/0 interface has address of 10.0.23.34/27
    /27 CIDR notation means it must have subnet mask of 255.255.224.0, which gives an inverse mask of 0.0.0.31, not 0.0.0.63 of what the book says for Ukraine configuration.

Page 216
    Question #1
    There are multiple choice questions (A through D), however there are two "B" choices, I think they forgot to make a "C" selection.
    - Show quoted text -

Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:36 PM
    To: Kanouse, Patrick
    Subject: Errata not found for my book

I cannot find online errata information regarding Exam Cram CCNA Third Edition book. Do I get cash back for filing errors?

Bartow, Brett to Jammywanks

Thank you for your interest in Exam Cram. I've shared your comments with the author, and their response is below. We will incorporate this change into the next printing and the errata posted online.

To thank you for your efforts in identifying this problem, I would like to offer you a special discount bonus on any purchase of a Cisco Press title on our web site. Here is a special coupon code for you to use when placing your next order at www.ciscopress.com. It will get you 35% off SRP. This code should be entered on step 3 of the checkout process.

Coupon code: XXXXXX

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Best,

Brett Bartow

Executive Editor
  • Options
    They gave me 35% off, but really I don't know if I will worry about their books next time. Seems like 2nd edition, 3rd edition have errors, and so will the 4th icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jammywanks wrote:
    They gave me 35% off, but really I don't know if I will worry about their books next time. Seems like 2nd edition, 3rd edition have errors, and so will the 4th icon_rolleyes.gif

Yup, get used to it. All books will have errors, not just Cisco Press. There are errors in the online Cisco documentation as well.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Actually yeah I shouldn't have been so one sided. My original post was about the Sybex book icon_redface.gif

However I wish to get my next set of CCNP books for free... I wonder how many errors I would have to spot out to get that kind of hookup... icon_study.gif