Options

Book Reviews

A lot of my questions seem to be about what books to use, and I've noticed that I lot of other members have similar questions. I think we could benefit from adding a section to the site specifically for reviewing books/websites/testing materials that we've used. Whether it be another forum specifically for this, or just a tech note that we could submit reviews to be added to, I think that would be a good addition to the site. What does everyone else think.
Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman

Comments

• Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    great idea i agree make this a poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Can I make this a poll? Or does one of the moderators have to do it?
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    There's no need to create a poll... we are just going to do it :D

We actually had this idea early this year and some companies have even send us review copies of their products (transcender, ucertify, sybex), but it takes a lot of time to seriously review products, unless we take the exams ourselves. I have a review lying around written by Bellboy for the 70-210 Ucertify prepkit, and I'm also almost done with the Security+ book from Sybex... and I agree, many people do ask about books in particular...

I'll create a new forum soon, where we (I, the mods, you) can post Product Reviews... 1 Topic per product, but people can reply with their own (re-)reviews, hence share their opinions about products without having to write an entire review. I'll create a Sticky post in the new forum with 'posting rules' so we can keep it organized and clean :)

Thanks for your suggestion!
  • Options
    How can I become involved in this project? I have a pretty boring job, so I've got about 6 hours a day of paid free time to read. My employeer is supposedly sometime soon (in the next few months) gonna start paying for my exams, so I'd be more then happy to play guinnea pig. Plus I wouldn't mind some free review copies of books. Let me know if I can be of any help.
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I'm with Ghent, I work 8hrs a day, but don't actually get any hands on without something breaking. My employer doesn't pay for my tests but gives me all the time in the world to study (as long as I keep things up and running). I have no problem reading extra books.....all the extra knowledge is welcome.

Let me know if I can help....
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahhh Ghent & Lexxy ... now if there were some way for you to read a few books for me and then plug into your workstation and download to my brain I would be eternally grateful icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Get me a neuro surgeon and a giba bit ethernet card. We'll see what we can do.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, I don't see any direct need for reviewers, but if we're asked to review a book/product that doesn't cover an exam on my or any of the moderators' wish-list, I'll let one of you know. I'll post some more info about this in the new forums... However, one of the requirement will be that you either passed an exam or use the product to pass on soon ;)

I currently have 5 companies asking us to review of which 3 have send the products already, but for all of them I already have the reviewers... I've got your names noted though...
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif @ RussS

Anything I can do to help the site Webmaster.

Oh and Webmaster If you give me a book to read I'm gonna use it to pass the test. :D:D:D

I can't say enough on how this site has helped.
  • Options
    AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    Sounds like a great idea...I can't wait :D