Are you going to 'update' your A+?

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
CompTIA certifications are for life, which means you do not need to recertify your A+ by passing. You or your employer for example, may feel different about it. Whether it's just for fun, or you want to study the new exam objectives to stay current with the current or latest technologies, or as a resume enhancer, we'd like to know if you are going to 'update' your A+ to the 2006 objectives.

Please do not answer the poll if you currently do not hold an A+ certification or plan to finish the 2003 A+.

Also, feel free to reply and let us know why or why not.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I won't be re-certifying my A+.

I feel that it's an entry level certification, and as I'm already working in IT there are better uses that I can out my time, effort and money into to improve my qualifications.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    No, unless an employer forces me! lol
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Not I icon_lol.gif

My company doesn't care, and I like the posters above consider it entry level, and I'm already way past the A+ stuff where I'm at now... although, I do find myself playing with mother boards at home still.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Nope.

Think of the exam similar to a college (University) education. When I completed my Accounting Degree, I will hold that degree the rest of my life regardless if the University changes the curriculum or not.

Same thing here. So no I will not replace any computer certification or re-test for any certification unless it is a requirement of the certificaiton prior to holding it.

FWIW

Also, if I didn't work with this material on a daily basis I may feel differently, but I haven't left the hardware side of things and likely won't be any time soon.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    Would love to but don't have the time to study for it again. I am currently working on my MCSA.
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
  • Icem@nIcem@n Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nah i dont think i will be doing over this vert at all what so ever. Bigger and better certs i am after now. hahaha
    N+, A+(220-301 & 220-302), MCP {(70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294)MCSA 2003}, {(70-284)MCSA:Messaging}{(70-297)MCSE 2003}(70-299, 70-298) {MCSA/E:Security(70-350) CCENT (640-822)

640-816 NEXT
  • antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    I guess I will have to say no. I was a technician in the past, but now I work as a Systems Analyst. I would rather go towards Microsoft or Cisco Certifications. However, I will go after other CompTIA certification including Convergence+ and HTI+ (but this will be it for CompTIA).

I feel that they should stregthen the Network+. I mean why have a networking exam without subnetting questions...

icon_sad.gif
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • saddlebagssaddlebags Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im working on my N+ now and have so far not been able to find any kind of IT job with the A+, so after my N+ I might do it to give me an edge over a few people. It might not do anything but its worth a go.
  • ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I voted "no".

Main reason, spending $158 per exam times 2 exams comes to $316, which I can't justify spending to "refresh" a perfectly goot certification. Now if my employer paid for it up front and required me to take it, then I guess I'd do it.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I won't be taking it unless forced to basically because I don't feel I needed it in the first place but I got it as it is sort of a "requirement" for almost any positionin IT to get your foot in the door.

also I think it's just a money maker so I hope that comptia doesn't get many people to re-cert or persue the different tracks.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    No, there are bigger fish to fry now.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I feel that it's an entry level certification, and as I'm already working in IT there are better uses that I can out my time, effort and money into to improve my qualifications.

AGREED!!

unless my employer says something to me about it (which I know they won't). I'm done with A+ for life. I dont even think i'd retake it if they did away with the whole, "certified for life" thing they currently have. icon_cool.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    NO, as Comptia said that if youre an A+ cert, its foreever. thats it....If you want to know the new technology, just go to the computer store or buy A+ upgrade book and study it. I will just focus on Microsoft, Cisco and CWNA
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    No. Just wouldn't be worth the time and money right now.
    However, might be worth reading the new technology information in 6-7 years from now. Whether I would then recertify then, depends on how much time I have to commit to it.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I have no plans to update my A+ certification, especially since it is a lifetime certification. The reason is the same one I gave to the president of the networking club at my college, when he was complaining that you can only retake classes two times, and there "is no other way to keep updated": Once an A+, always an A+.

Processor speeds change, frontside bus speeds change, memory capacities change, but the fundamentals of what you learned do not. There is still a motherboard, CPU(s), memory, storage, input/output, printers, etc. Any good A+ candidate should be able to go out and look at what's new on a site like Newegg, and be up to date as to what new hardware is available, (even if you've been out of the loop for a while). Windows has changed since the first edition of A+, but then the same rules apply. You have to be able to install the OS, troubleshoot the OS, perform basic tasks such as setting up printers, installing software, etc. . . You know what you need the software to do, just go out and look up how it's done at the current time.

In the end, certifications aren't about specifics of each particular type of technology. They are designed to display a particular level of proficiency with those technologies. Once you have that baseline knowledge and experience, you go out and get yourself a good "In A Nutshell" book, if you need to relearn some minute detail(s).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • lammianolammiano Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I won't be updating my A+ because my employer does not require it.
    Believe it or not I took mine in 1993 when it was in Beta with 315 questions!
    "He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue." Benjamin Franklin
  • Overlord1Overlord1 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No, i have A+ and N+ only for my MCSA 2003.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Nope...won't be taking it and in my experience, employers don't care about the year of this certification...it's the fact that you have it.

If I should work for an employer who requests the upgrade, then I would. But in that case, I would expect my employer to pay for the training, exams, and time to fulfill this requirement.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not going to update my A+ unless the 220-605 exam is an Apple Hardware/Mac OS exam. I heard that it was going to be but it might just be a rumor. Does anybody know?
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    sthomas wrote:
    I am not going to update my A+ unless the 220-605 exam is an Apple Hardware/Mac OS exam. I heard that it was going to be but it might just be a rumor. Does anybody know?

I've not heard this. Where did you hear/read it? Or When?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    sthomas wrote:

I'd actually consider doing the A+ update if they had a Mac-specific exam. Otherwise, I doubt I'd update unless it became necessary somehow.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've not heard this. Where did you hear/read it? Or When?

I actually read it on another forum a couple of months ago. Someone posted it on examnotes.net I think, of course it may not be true. I was just curious if anyone on this forum heard anything about it. Maybe I will contact CompTIA directly.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • dmm37dmm37 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No, I feel if have years of experience behind it why do it?
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Will only do it if the boss requires and pays for it.
  • darreng1973darreng1973 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i did a practice test with prep logic or something similar and scored 80% or so using the new objectives .

the questions seemed similar to the one i remember from my A+ exam

i did my test 2 years ago
  • SteelySteely Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not looking back at A+. Personally, I'm too swamp with CCNA, Security+ and an AA degree. And occasional contract work too.
  • sekure70sekure70 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't see the need to re-invent the wheel. If you got your A+ in the first place, chances are you did it to become a better qualified IT pro. I think we have all moved past the A+ level and are seeking to attain higher certs as we improve our skillset. Why recertify in a cert that requires no recertification?

Just my $.02
  • addiktionaddiktion Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will not be updating my A+.

much like others have said it's a certification that gets your foot in the door. Who needs to show off new A+ 06 skills? A+ is basic dude. The Return of Investment of the A+ is nil.

A+ gets you in a starting position so you can build upon that foundation of knowledge.

IMO:
    A+ = PC repair, assembly etc.
    Net+ = Tech support, network lacie, etc.
    Security+ = Its popular right now because of the 9/11 incident. Everyones worried about their data being phished.
    MCSA/MCSE/CCNA/CCNP + any other higher certs = Network Admins, Analysts, Engineers, big wigs, etc.

You also have your specific certs or others that are just icing on the cake.

I obtain certifications for a couple of reasons. 1. to give me an edge over competition in the employers eyes. 2. to increase my knowledge in a specific area. and 3. return of investment. If your not making more dough for your newly obtained knowledge it's not worth it.
    Don't let a good test score fool you into thinking you know everything. After all a test only shows you how well you are at memorizing the tested subjects.
  • DiddycoonDiddycoon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I only took my A+ at the end of last year so I don't feel the need to retake it.

I would imagine the newer exam has alot less focus on older MS-DOS and Windows 95/98 topics now and more focus of Windows 2000/XP which should make it a little easier imo.