Options

Setting up a domain name?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
A relative wants me to set them up with a domain name. I've actually never done this before, so is there anything I need to know first and does it matter "where" you set up the domain name? (as in, does it matter whom I set it up with?)

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    You need to setup a domain name with a registrar. He will probably need hosting as well. 1and1.com (not a commerical - other people may have other preferences) has pretty cheap hosting and features like web email and mysql for no extra charge.

The whole process is pretty straight forward. I personally don't care much for the web builder they have, but if you have no experience and don't want anything too fancy, it will be fine.

I use a content management system called joomla. It's a bear to configure, but once it's set up, it's awesome. For just a blog, you can use wordpress - super easy to setup, in fact, I think 1and1 offers wordpress so you may not have to set up the database.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It doesn't really matter where you do it, well, you probably want to go for one of the bigger ones. So that would be, for example, register.com (around $30), or cheaper: www.godaddy.com (around $10). The latter is the obvious choice really. It certainly isn't any 'less' just because it's cheaper. Buying a domain name is just as easy as buying anything online. (godaddy accepts paypal as well)

Having said that, the easiest way is to have your relative buy the domain, so he/she will automatically be the owner and the adminstrative, billing and technical contact info will be set to them. Make sure to use the Private option when you go for godaddy, it's around $2 and will prevent spammers from gathering your info. Once the domain is registered, the domain servers need to be set. They/you could create a second account for technical administration for example, but it's easiest to have the same person who registers the domain name (and enters the cc info/paypal address) set this info.

If you are going to use a public host, you will need to buy that (shared or dedicated server) and get the correct name servers from them. Your host will have to add a zone for your domain name to their DNS servers (or DNS server on your dedicated server), which you can usually do through an online form. I don't know if you need a host or will run your own web server, but if you do, I suggest www.ev1servers.net. That's were we are at and have been for the past 4 years. I've tried almost a dozen in the past 3 years before that and none even came close (and I'm not getting a single $ discount on our hosting for saying that).
  • Options
    I'll meet with her and go over some of those websites suggested and decide what she want to do. I think she has a website already established, and just wishes to associate a domain name with it. I appreciate the help, so I'll see how it goes. :o

KG
  • Options
    Revisiting this topic, I'm still not completely clear on the issue. I understand that I can purchase a domain name through a registrar like godaddy, but would I then need to pay for hosting as well or does it come with the name? I figure I would need to buy space somewhere where the files could actually be stored.

Never setup a website, and I have a feeling I'll need to learn how at some point. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hostmonster.com. Register with them, they'll set you up with a domain name for life and they have excellent customer service. I've used them always.

Let me know if you need help. I have done all kinds of registrar setups, mysql database setups for hosting, forum setups, etc...

So basically the process is like this:
    1. Register your name with a registrar (I actually use namescheap.com since my domain was registered before I signed up with hostmonster for hosting).
    2. If you do register your domain with a different registrar than your hosting company, you will login to your registrar and point your 2 nameserver records to the dns servers at the hosting companies. For example, I log into my registrar at namescheap.com, point my 2 NS records to ns1.hostmonster.com and ns2.hostmonster.com. This should be done automatically when you register your domain with hostmonster since they will also be your domain company.
    3. Within 24-48 hours, your portal will be set up and instructions on how to FTP and access your CPanel.
    4. You login to Cpanel, set up any options you want.
    5. You FTP and upload your website.
    6. You login to Cpanel and set up any MYSQL databases you may need. I can help you get started on this if you need help.
    7. Done
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    hostmonster.com. Register with them, they'll set you up with a domain name for life and they have excellent customer service. I've used them always.

Wow. Those guys are quite similar to www.bluehost.com

I wonder if it's the same company.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    i use hostmonster on a few sites....seem to be a pretty decent hosting company.

The only time i had an issue i put in a trouble ticket and they contacted me within the hour and helped resolve the issue.