Options

Noob Has A question

chelchchelch Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just started reading the Michael Meyers, 4TH Ed All In One A+ cert book. I feel overwhelmed because I have read through the first two chapters, and it seems like there is so much information to take in. I'm not sure what concepts and facts I should really concentrate on for the test and what facts are just there for history sake. Any advice would be appreciated because I am a noob when it comes to theis A+ stuff. Thanks :D

Comments

• Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_cool.gif you dont have to worry about stuff like "in 1979 intel blah blah blah" but you do need to know about the 8088/8086 processors, their limitations, and address bus side. So anything doing with dates, people, or companies I wouldnt worry about anything else you could be tested on.
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    If I remember correctly, Myer's usually has a "Test Specific" portion of each chapter. Read it all, but concentrate on that portion of each chapter, and you should do ok.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    thanks for the reply. I am ALSO worried that the stuff I am reading and studying right now in that book wont matter because when I go to take the test, the 2003 test will be out.
  • Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the test becomes 2003 objective in november. But even then the core section probably wont change much.
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I'm pretty sure that 4th edition is the 2003 objectives. I'm not 100% certain on that, but pretty sure. So you should be ok.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just checked and it doesn't look like it covers it based on this in the description

"Ch. 10: Windows 9x
    Ch. 11: Windows 2000"

no mention of ME or XP.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chelch

I suggest that you read all of the AIO and take in as much as you possibly can. The reason I say this is because I see post after post from people looking for just test specific study - however just because you can pass a test doesn't mean squat if the first thing your new employer does is give you a box of bits and asks you to assemble a computer, and in that box is a Slot A MoBo and a Slot 1 PII processor, some EDO RAM and a GeForce FX5200 8x video card. Without understanding the whys and wherefores you will be feeling that boss's boot on ya azzie on the way out the door. Learn all you can and as you progress you will understand how things fit in the grand scheme of things. Knowing every I/O address or whatever is cool, but does it help you understand how they work?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    A+ is very broadly based. The exam questions that you end up with at the COMPtia exam will be based on "the luck of the draw" type of situation. You need everything that is in Meyers's book, and I wouldn't recommend that anyone without solid experience(or even with it) rely on only one exam guide.

The info in AIO is solid and any of it can be included on the exam. When I took OS portion I was surprised by the number of questions on Windows NT, but NT is still used by a lot of people, and W2k and XP are both built on NT technology--you need the historical run up on these things to understand and appreciate the differences and understand a lot of the questions.

DOS command line is still used. I use it almost every day at work.

A lot more to A+ than Operating systems. Hardware, hardware, and more hardware!

Check the objectives on http://comptia.com/certification/A/objectives.asp
    That should help you see what you need beyond AIO to supplement your study materials.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for there time in responding to my thread. The info is appreciated :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just a quick tip if you want to. the 5th edition is coming out Oct27, I don't know if you can return it but it may be worth it if you can.
  • Options
    I dont know what to do now! I already bought the 4 edition book and have been studying for only about 2 weeks. I really dont feel like waiting till the new book comes out in october. I really want to get my career on track as soon as possible. Any suggestions??
  • Options
    MeiraleahMeiraleah Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there. I'm a noob too and plan to self study for the A+. Just curious...how much time are you giving yourself to study for this before you take the test? And how do you feel about lab work and one on one training with an instructor? I was thinking that that may be important....