re: vmare RAM requirements for 3 guest OS's

kongming0gnkongming0gn Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
well, the subject title almost says it all. :D

i just wanna ask anyone here who had used VMWare, how much memory would be advisable if I were to place three guest OS's?

I got information on this site -> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/vm.ars/1
that VMWare comes above Virtual PC when it comes to performance... well, I'd like to know also, from experience of any of you guys, if this is true...

Thanks to you all, Im still in the middle of review... Congratulations to everyone who passed the exam recently!!!

Comments

• DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use VM Server (I have never used the MS Virtual PC) and I have 1.25 GB of memory. With that I can easly load 2K3 server and 2 clients(XP). All these configured for 256 MB of RAM.

When I run VM Server on Linux (I use Linux 90% of my time) I can turn on 2K3 server and 4 clients with no performance issues. When I run it in windows, I start see in a performance hit after 2K3 and 2 clients. Long story short, have at least 1GB for what you want (or all you can
    afford ;-0 . . . )
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    well, the subject title almost says it all. :D

i just wanna ask anyone here who had used VMWare, how much memory would be advisable if I were to place three guest OS's?

I got information on this site -> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/vm.ars/1
    that VMWare comes above Virtual PC when it comes to performance... well, I'd like to know also, from experience of any of you guys, if this is true...

Thanks to you all, Im still in the middle of review... Congratulations to everyone who passed the exam recently!!!

For my Vmware Lab I decided to get 2 extra gigs of ram. So i currently am running my XP with 2.5g.
    VM-Win2k3 768
    VM-Winxp 512

Everything is pretty good so far.
    I would suggest that if you have the 200 give or take for the ram.
    Goodluck.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • kongming0gnkongming0gn Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for that guys! icon_cool.gif

and another thing, does any of you have links to information about how to set the network configuration of VMWare with three guest Os's?

Actually I am planning a guest OS for win2k3 server, and two win XP's. these three OS's is what I intend to be my home lab set-up. I dont want to include my Host OS for the Lab excercises... I'll be purchasing 1gb RAM for this.

Thanks for your help!
  • DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have my 2K3 set up as a DC with a static IP. Both my clients have static IP's on the same subnet. I also set this to bridged so I could reach the "outside world" if I chose too. Setting them to NAT will work too (and may be more secure)
  • kongming0gnkongming0gn Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks Dapperdan and Cessation!