Options

Mail Server Programs

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
What mail program does everyone use. I am looking for a cheap easy to install and configure mail program for about 10 users that has webmail.

Thanks!
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exchange
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are looking for something small, the I would outsource email. A lot of your web hosting companies like 1and1 offer email hosting.

If you want it in house, Exchange is the way to go in my opinion.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    we're using HULA mail... we don;t use the webmail aspect but apparently it has it according to http://the.taoofmac.com/space/Hula

check out hula-project.org
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    echange is great except he wants cheap

exchange standard is 1299.00 with out Cals

and then u need a server which probalby will not be justifiable for 10 users

where with sometihng linux based (cause it's cheap) you can problaby run it on a P3 machine(THat's what we're doing for about the same users maybe a few more).

only issue is cheap AND easy ot configure do not always go hand in hand
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have setup VHCS on Ubuntu for a couple of people using the squirrelmail plugin for webmail and it works very nicely. Has alot of the features that most email clients have as well like Calendar, Notes, Reminders, To Do List, Remote POP and several others all built into the webmail interface. Best part is that it is FREE.

VHCS also supports POP clients and IMAP.

VHCS Site

Login Page Screenshot for the Squirrelmail Plugin

Webmail Screenshot of Squirellmail Plugin

The installs that I did for these also included Mailscanner, Spamassassin and clamav
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The company I work for uses IPSwitch's iMail. Maybe not the most cost-effective solution for you right now, but if you ever get more than just those ten users, it's worth a look:

http://www.ipswitch.com/products/imail/index.asp

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I am running Fedora as the Server and XP as the client with Samba as the interface between them.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks! - I will look into using this. How difficult is it to configure?
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the ease of installation for Fedora but it was a snap on Ubuntu.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can get Window Small Business Server Std editon from newegg.com for 419.00 which includes Windows server and Exchange
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could also try try MDaemon, a 12 user package is £295. I use it here in the office and it never causes any hastels! icon_wink.gif (Probly hexxed myself now).