Options

xmodem problem

ObligedObliged Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have an 1800 series router that is stuck in rommon mode. i am trying to use xmodem to install a new IOS (12.3). Anyone know why it keeps timing out after 5 minutes or so? Below is the message I get once the process starts.

Ready to receive file c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.124-8a ...
BB0BB0
Timeout waiting for data - aborting download...

I am plugged from serial to console.

Thanks
roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does it start to send the image then get hung up or is it acting like its waiting to be sent?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It looks like it didn't successfully receive anything (no #)

What telnet client are you using? What communication parameters?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ObligedObliged Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It appears to be sending, but stops after 5 minutes or so. Maybe its not recieving the file. Hmmmmmm...
    I am using Hyper Terminal at 9600 bps.
    roses are #FF0000
    violets are #0000FF
    all my base
    are belong to you
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The usual parameters for the console are 9600-N-8-1.... and what usually gets me - no flow control.

What's the command line you're using in ROMMON? Where are you telling it to put the file -- flash?

You could always try the XMODEM to DRAM and boot option -- and if that works, then configure the router for network access and TFTP the image the "easy way" to flash.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    "xmodem" will take quite a while to upload your IOS. The 1800 series supports tftpdnld (tftp download) in ROMmon mode.

If you don't have a tftp server installed on your PC, you can go to
    http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/TFTP_Server and download free tftp server software.

Once you have that loaded on your PC, go to the tftp server configuration and tell the software where you have the IOS saved (this will be under File -->Configure and then the TFTP Root Directory tab). Then go to the Security tab and select the Transmit and Receive files radio button.

You can then get tftpdnld instructions at cisco.com http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080458425.html#wp1020643