Options

Need some help with a career move with a job offer

WRXSTi04WRXSTi04 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I figured I would post this question because its been really bothering me

I've been working in a Help Desk position with an IT company for over an year and recently interviewed for a Network Engineer position a month ago (Same company different departments). I was told a few days back that they wanted me to start in a week. I was never given an offer letter nor discussion was brought up regarding salary. icon_evil.gif It is me or is not a proper way for management to handle a move? icon_neutral.gif

Anyhow I don't feel that this position is a lateral move from Analyst to Engineer. I am currently getting paid by the hour, don't work weekends and have a very nice 8 hour shift with the helpdesk.

The new position requires me to travel every 3-4 weeks to help configure and setup networks world wide. The new position requires to stay afloat with constant studying and working on stating ahead with networking terminology etc. Even during the interview I was told that someone at a CCNA level will have to work hard in this new position.

So my dilemma is should I take this position if they don't offer me a raise? What can I use for leverage to make them offer me a raise etc?
I am trying to way my options because the I feel the knowledge I gain in the new position will help my future career but at the same time I don't want to put in hours of work and be away from loved ones to get paid the same crummy salary I could be working my current 8 hour a day job.

Any feedback is appreciated icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's so many IT people who spend months trying to find a job only to find that they end up taking a help desk position. If you're single, young, and working on your career, i'd definitely take it. Heck, even if they pay you the same salary, you're at lest getting the experience which, like you said, will benefit your career long term wise. Good luck with your choice. Let us know the outcome.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really don't see how they could not pay the engineer job more than the help desk one, that is crazy. I would point out the pros and cons like you have told us, about the benefits of where you are now and how the only benefit offered by the job you are applying for is the experience- for that kind of work you should definitely be getting a raise compared to where you are now.
  • Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too don't see how you wouldn't get a salary increase with the new job. If you're young and don't mind the travelling and studying to keep on top on new stuff, go for it. It will only help you in the long run depending on what you'd like to do in the future. Also ask questions about how expenses would be dealt with when travelling, company credit card or do you pay and be reimbursed?

As far as no formal letter or salary discussion, I would wait a little since they are probably busy and haven't got around to making a formal offer, unless you've already started the new job then I would discuss it with them. I've seen some people that were promised things by word of mouth but never received them because it was never written down. Management in the case simply deny ever mentioning or agreeing to such things.
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Regardless if your pay ends being the same or more....

i definitely think you should take that position, there's a wealth of practical experience and knowledge that you will gain and that my fren will take you a far way.

I think you consider consider how marketable you'll be in this IT world after a year or two at tht position.........besides if you do well........i bet they'll pay to keep you there.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback
    Its real depressing to me since I've been with the company for over an year busted my butt moved into some level 2 applications and got my CCNA, never got a single raise, praise or thank you. Then I get this new position and they won't even call or discuss this with me. My boss keeps telling me that another manager is supposed to call me to discuss, he said he was sick as of Monday of this week, I figured he'd called me by now. icon_confused.gif
    Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted
    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would take it, but you should have asked that question to them once they offered it and before you accepted it. They don't have to pay you any more, it really depends on the way IT positions are classified at your company. The last company i worked for classifed all desktop, server, helpdesk, and network engineers as either technical support analyst or same title with sr. in front of it to get around making our salary right.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I guess it worked out for me in the end. I got the job and a decent raise. Boss also said i'd get another raise after a few months
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    WRXSTi04 wrote:
    I guess it worked out for me in the end. I got the job and a decent raise. Boss also said i'd get another raise after a few months

congrats man!

all the best in ur new post
    stonecold26.jpg