Options

Are Similar Answers a Clue ?

ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
I've taken a lot of practice exams for my Core Exam A+. I notice
that on many of the possible answers of a typical Question, often
two Answers stand out that are very similar of the possible 4 answers.
It is usually a ploy or trick to draw you away from the correct answer.
Does anyone know what I mean, and is this worth noting on the Exam?
If this is true, that often your choices can be narrowed down to 2 quickly,
giving you a 50% chance.
Thanks, rick

i.e. 10Base2 *
10BaseT *
Cat 5
100BaseT
Richard Krenzel

Comments

• Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Sorry Rick,

While there are certain tricks an experienced test taker can look for in a poorly written exam, I'm afraid you won't find a lot of them in the modern CompTIA exam. The folks at CompTIA have pulled all exam development in-house now and they have gathered a team that works pretty diligently to produce psychometrically sound exams. There are no trick questions. Wrong answers (known as distracters) are meant to be plausible to the candidate with a limited knowledge of the material.

Your best bet is to approach the exam with a firm grasp of the objectives and not try to second guess the exam. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Rick,

I cannot stress enough that with real experience/lab experience you will not have any trouble with 'tricks'. The exams are straight forward.

If you don't have much experience then set up a lab and work through various scenerios and the objectives until it all makes sense. The exams are not very difficult, but they candidate is expected to have approximately 500 hours of experience prior to the exam...or at least that level of understanding of the material being tested.

But no, there are no 'tricks'.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I don't know about answers trying to lure you away, but I do know that almost all certification exams have a "style" of putting answers together that can seem similar if you don't read the question closely enough or if you don't know the material backwards and forwards. An example of something you'll see on a test is:

What is the standard type of network cable used today in most ethernet networks?

A. 10BaseT
    B. 100BaseTX
    C. 1000BaseT
    D. 100BaseFX

Or you'll see things that are so similar, it hurts:

What is the IEEE Standards format for a parallel port?

A. IEEE1394
    B. IEEE1284
    C. IEEE1294
    D. IEEE896

If you haven't been working in the field, and you haven't really, really been hitting those books, similar questions like this are the ones that throw you for a loop. Other times, you have to read the question thouroughly. For example, if I change the first question to:

What ethernet cable standard would be used in an environment such as an old brick building with faulty wiring and fluorescent bulbs for lighting?

The answer would be different. Hint: it's not always the best choice, it's the best choice possible. You may pick something you know would work, and wouldn't cost as much, in the real world. If that isn't one of the four options. you have to go with what they give you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree with the previous posters, but to answer your question, whether two similar answers indicate that one of those answers is the correct one and the other a derivative of the correct answer: no. Good practice question writers know this too, and will deliberately sometimes, to throw you off, create two similar answers that are both wrong, but one is a derivative of the other. Kinda like reversed psychology for those who try to see through the author's question. A similar popular factor in guessing answers is the lenght of the questions. In bad practice questions you could for example, see 4 answers, of which one is a grammatically correct sentence, and the other 3 are one or two words. Bad writers take enough time to a formulate a correct answer, but just aren't good in making up incorrect answers. Which isn't easy, especially when the answer become longer, because the incorrect answer should make at least some sense. Ie. if you are asking about fruits, listing 'a pig' is just too easy. So that's why one or more correct answers are often (and sometimes too obvious) derivatives of the correct answer. Especially for certification and other professional exams you simply need to know your stuff, for a TV quiz you would definitely have an advantage if you can see through the structure of the question.
  • Options
    ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
    Thankyou members for explaining that, would it be true
    then to say that many of the questions on the hardware or Os
    exam have answers that are all correct ? And that it is
    my job to pick out the best answer ? If that is true, that is
    making life more difficult. By the way, can you please
    tell me what the two correct answers are in your example
    about Networks. Thankyou, Rick
    Richard Krenzel