Options

Job help

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok i have a 4 year degree from college but I wasn't the best student I made it through with a B grade point average. What can I do now to get into the IT field? Where should I look? I live in a small town in Michigan so not many IT jobs here and if there are then they want experince. What compainies and geographic locations should I look at for an entry level job that would hire me?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Realistically, if you're looking for a job market in the IT world, you have to get yourself to a metropolitan area. Ideally, it would be on one of the coasts, and the west coast tends to have more of an open field than the east. If you're looking to "break into" the IT field, the best thing you can do right now is work on getting certified and try to find any amount of experience at all. Be it crap-jobs or volunteering for a school, or something, make sure you get that experience.

With a degree in one hand, certs in the other, and some experience to back it all up, you should have no trouble finding work when you do figure out where you want to go. For specific ideas of what you need to do, there are a range of websites you can go to for job listings. My personal favorites are Career Builder, Dice, and Craig's List. Just search for you region, or the region you want to move to, and you'll find lots of listings.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could in the mean while call local temp agencies and IT recruiting companies and give them your info, they wouldn't get you in anything better than temp/contract work but it would be a start while you are gauging your long time situation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...