Options

What would you do? ->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been going over this and not sure what to do.

I got called for a job interview for a position w/ the dept. of transportation for the desktop tech position taking care of all the people at the executive level. It looks like I will be offered the job.

The job however seems like a low paying job (32K)/yr. I currently make 31K per year.

Also I was told I was the only one who was interviewd for the job. The company who called me about the job are a IT recruiting company.

Currently I work as a Lead IT Tech for a university, however no room for advancement.

What would you guys do? - Go for the experience or do you think it really is not worth it considering it is only a 1k increase.

Should I wait and try for something else?

Really not sure, input appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well i would look at the benefits. i work for the board of ed in a city and i can tell you that the health benefits are worth a ton of money and i only pay about 12 bucks a week for it. not to mention the 400 a year for glasses and contacts i can spend on each family member. and all the dental that is needed for me and my family. + if there is room for advancement that would be nice. Usually city job have a step system and a raise every year. not mention the job is easy. but that can be a bad thing if you dont challenge yourself with certs and new technology.
  • Options
    The benefits I have now are the same w/ this company (great benefits), so that is not to much of an issue.
  • Options
    MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can move up in the new job then you should definetly look at it. If you are going to stay in the same position you are in now in the new one, stay where you are until something better comes up. Well, thats what I would do icon_wink.gif But each to their own.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^

I agree. If your not going to be any worse off finacially then look at what will offer the best experience for you. Also if you feel like a change go for it, it can't hurt either way.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

I am not sure if their is room to move up w/in the new place, I am going to ask the hiring manager about this..

Does it seem odd that I was the only one interviewed though?
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    perhaps if you dont care if you change or not, you could say you would take the job but only for 7K more ;)
  • Options
    perhaps if you dont care if you change or not, you could say you would take the job but only for 7K more ;)

:P - I asked for more, however they said it was final.

Update - I declined the job as I am looking for something else. I have a few other things going on right now that might work out and if they do - I will be better off.

You guys have great advice and always give me a lot to think about so a big thanks to everyone.

As usual I will keep everyone updated and im sure more ?'s will come up!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    sharptech,
    I would have handled it a little differently if the only thing holding me back was a few k. I would have attended the interview, avoided mentioning any specific figure and when I received the job offer, I would have countered. It changes their perspective the more time they have invested in hiring you.

Good luck on your job hunt.
  • Options
    david_r wrote:
    sharptech,
    I would have handled it a little differently if the only thing holding me back was a few k. I would have attended the interview, avoided mentioning any specific figure and when I received the job offer, I would have countered. It changes their perspective the more time they have invested in hiring you.

Good luck on your job hunt.

David -

Normally I would of went to the interview except this time I was dealing with an outside recruiting company and trust me - they were set on the price and it was final.

I also was not to happy w/ the job environment - I think thats what kept me away for the most part. I know their are better opportunities out there for me.

Thanks for the reply!