Options

And now it's my turn. :D

Sorry I'm not around much, but I'll be around even less for the next month as things are really hectic here.

As none of you know, I've been studying since July 2005 for my certs. I now have the MCP (w00t!), MCSE:M, and MCSE 2003.
I had decided to start looking for a job in IT once I reached the MCSE. I figured that while I waited I would continue to study for other certs (I only work on weekends, non IT related work) as my deadline for finishing is in May 2007. Not that that deadline affects me much, as I haven't gone to my training provider in nearly a year and also I had decided that their "job guarantee" was unlikely to come through, so I didn't want to rely on them.

Also I am just very effing sick and tired of the job I'm doing, and figured it was about time to leave that hellhole and put my knowledge to good use.

The problem is that I have zero official experience. Yes, I have a lab on which I've implemented and maintained all the technologies that I've studied, but you need "real" experience in order for someone to look at you twice.

So after a few weeks of... basically nothing, I decided I wouldn't wait around with my thumb up my ___. I thought I might as well work for free, gaining some experience while supporting myself by continuing to work weekends.

Anyway to make a short story shorter, last night before I sent out the app to work unpaid I got a call about a position I applied for on cwjobs; today I went for an interview and tomorrow I start! :D

It's a fantastic position in an IT solutions provider and consultancy... initially it will be mainly helpdesk, and within max one year I should go higher, with the idea of making me a consultant. Wow, and this is my first IT position!

There's also a huge amount of stuff to learn, and of course they'll take care of my exams and education. They're also nice and up-to-date, and in a few months we'll be using Vista and all the other 2007 products. The pay is also very good.

In short, I got what I think is a fantastic first-position, and without any experience. So it can be done. Though I still wouldn't advise it.
But I knew my stuff, and braindumpers beware!
An important thing was that I had my MCSE, as that was very important to them, perhaps also because they're a MS Partner. Oh, the guy also said he liked the fact that I did self study, as it shows motivation.
Anyway I'm happy.
And good luck to the other job hunters out there. Keep studying while you look.

icon_cool.gif
witty comment

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif

remember to grow and not get trapped in a "safe world" which is common for those that get a nice gig
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Yep. I think I'll have a lot of "growing" to do here already, for a good while.
    witty comment
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude.........keep it up........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great news, it shows that hard work pays off!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dang _omni_. I would have hired you. All you had to do was ask. Oh yeah, and move to the US. Oh, and quit sending me nasty PM's. :P

Big congrats dude! Show them what you can do! icon_cool.gificon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey man congrats! :) - Your from London arn't you?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations, you definitely deserve it!