Options

Monitoring event viewer, users and groups from NT4 on WinXP

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
Is it possible to monitor events from event viewer and check and/or add users from a NT4 server to a Windows XP workstation? I made an account for myself on the NT4 server and logged on through XP but was wondering if I can also add users and such from my XP station instead of walking back to the server.

Can anyone tell me how or link me to a site that would better explain? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If we are talking about domain accounts then you can add the USERMGR.exe tool to your XP workstation.

If you want to add local accounts on the server from your workstation, you can try connecting to Computer Management on the NT4 server from your workstation. I can't remember if that works, but I think it does. Right click on your My Computer icon, select "Manage", then right click on the "Computer Management - Local" and select "Connect to another computer".

You could also create a custom MMC. Run mmc from the start menu (Start - Run - MMC) and choose Add/Remove snap-in. Walk through adding Computer Management and select the remote computer. Save the MMC with a descriptive name on your desktop or wherever.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
    Ok, I can check my events, however, whenever I try to add a Local Users and Groups snap-in I get "Unable to access computer NAMEOFSERVER. The error was RPC server is unavailable."

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure File and Print sharing is enabled.
    Anything in the event logs for clues?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make sure file and print is turned on, make sure server service is running. If you're not logged in on the XP computer as a user with rights to the NT computer, it won't work.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...