Options

what would you do?

I had submitted my resume to a Cisco Partner for jobs such as Technical Support, and System Admin about 2 months ago.

Just this morning, and they called and offered me a job as a Technical Analyst for a hospital that they contract with. This would have been the ideal entry job I was looking for...but they do require full time committement, and unfortunately I'm still in school.

I tried to ask for part time positions, which they didnt have. Well, the best I could do was be as nice as I could, and hopefully I'll call me again when I graduate.

sigh...I kind of feel like I just missed my boat...
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    They were going to hire you without even conducting an interview first?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    They were going to hire you without even conducting an interview first?

Phone interview, I didnt know it was full time.
    She didnt know I was still in school, so it carried through until the moment of "you got the job"
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll have another opening once you finish school. You did the right thing though, finishing school is more important, considering how close you are.
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    just to play devils advocate...

you take the job, find its not for you......THEN you are also a school dropout icon_redface.gif

Stay where you are for now....trust me, if your good, other chances ALWAYS come YOUR way. :D
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    funny story, the same thign happened to me last year (pretty much exactly one year ago) when I was in my senior year of college. I interviewed for and was offered a job I really wanted. When I was offered it, I decided not to take it because of school. When I graduated that May the same job was available, i interviewed for it and got it. That's where I am now. It turns out the guy they hired had been fired for some sexual harassment thing. I came into the exact same position I interviewed for the first time!! Only this time i had my degree.

Moral of the story = get your education first

GOOD LUCK!! :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you have the option to complete your school at night or via online, I agree with the others that you made the right choice. Be sure and send the lady a thank you ask her to keep you in mind down the road.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Unless you have the option to complete your school at night or via online, I agree with the others that you made the right choice. Be sure and send the lady a thank you ask her to keep you in mind down the road.

I dont doubt for a second that I might have made the wrong decision. I'm thinking I might have "anger" their HR department now because they had "wasted" their time hoping to find a suitable candidate?

I went back and looked at my profile, and I did have full-time box checked off as being an option, however I clearly stated that my degree is still in progress, do you guys think I would come off as a "bad person" now because I did that?

I guess I was eager, and I didnt think about what would happen if they did actually offer me a job immediately. Should I change it to only flag part-time opportunities?
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    There are lots of people pursuing their masters degree and working fulltime. Are you sure the job was a 9 to 5? Hospitals run 24 hrs a day.
  • Options
    david_r wrote:
    There are lots of people pursuing their masters degree and working fulltime. Are you sure the job was a 9 to 5? Hospitals run 24 hrs a day.

shift work, but they needed somebody who could commit to at least 3 days of 9-5 + other shifts.
    sprkymrk wrote:

part-time schooling definitely could have been an option. But I am convinced that I should and I need to finish my current responsibilities first.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    david_r wrote:

shift work, but they needed somebody who could commit to at least 3 days of 9-5 + other shifts.
    sprkymrk wrote:

part-time schooling definitely could have been an option. But I am convinced that I should and I need to finish my current responsibilities first.

Education is always first, jobs will always be there for you, especially with a degree;)
    Now working full time!