• Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    kobem wrote:
    i didn't understand the path cost answer given to me from mike
    please explain me in igrp as path cost do we use bandwidth and delay
    or hop count ?

second one what does this mean ?( ping doesn't necessarily show
    that you are connected to networks)

Bandwidth and delay are what IGRP uses to calculate the best path to a destination. The hop count is how many routers a packet can traverse before it is dropped, If im not mistaken igrp hop count is 100 icon_scratch.gif
    DirtySouth wrote:
    #2 - 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address for the localhost. In other words, if you ping that address, you are actually pinging yourself. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are connected to a network.

With your second question I think you are refering back to a previous post that you made. What DirtySouth said is that your loopback is for testing purposes! You can ping yourself to check if your TCP/IP stack is functioning but the loopback also has some other handy little uses. icon_rolleyes.gif

I suggest you invest in some training material and read this site, It has a wealth of knowledge for any aspiring CCNA/CCNP/MCSE... :D

Good Luck icon_thumright.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^^ he's right, bandwidth and delay are the default metrics of IGRP but the max hop count is 255.
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    IGRP max hop count 255
    IGRP default hop count 100
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    kobem wrote:
    i didn't understand the path cost answer given to me from mike
    That doesn't mean you need to start a new topic. Instead, just reply to the original thread if you don't understand an answer. And please try to use descriptive Subjects when posting a new thread. "yeah some questions again?" isn't very helpful for others who may be using the search option.
  • Options
    kobemkobem Inactive Imported Users Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you still don't understand me about igrp

WHAT WILL I CHOOSE?

A- BANDWIDTH B-DELAY C-HOP COUNT

and this question was like this at www.internetworktraining.com
    its answer was hop count

for path cost why?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kobem wrote:
    you still don't understand me about igrp

WHAT WILL I CHOOSE?

A- BANDWIDTH B-DELAY C-HOP COUNT

A+B

can't get any simpler than that -- follow the link to see the calculation
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Dont get pissy with people helping you. This questions are very easily answered by doing minimal research on your part, and you could use an english class or two.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    bmauro wrote:
    IGRP max hop count 255
    IGRP default hop count 100

And this link confirms it. icon_lol.gif

Sorry -- but I need a laugh sometimes.... Maybe Fabio makes IGRP simple enough.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    kobem,
    Welcome. Pull up a chair and order a drink. Just don't ask for a tall glass of friendly as apparently this site just ran out.

IGRP uses hop count to prevent routing loops, not as a metric. Default behavior is to use bandwidth AND delay as the metric.

Modemhumper, if you are going to bash somebody's English skills, do us all a favor and proofread your post. "Dont ... This questions are very easily...." While we are on the subject, I speak English. When you make a ball curve while playing billiards, that is english. Make a note of it.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dave, maybe you should read the posts by this guy again, everything was explained in detail, the guy just wanted an answer for his question and he was rude going about it.I agree with Modemhumper, the guy should learn english.
    Oh and friendly, yeah the glass runs dry for people who dont make any effort!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    david_r wrote:
    Welcome. Pull up a chair and order a drink. Just don't ask for a tall glass of friendly as apparently this site just ran out.
    He started here -- feel free to answer his questions -- and make it simpler then what's already been posted.

I assume kobem isn't a native English speaker -- that's about the only reason why I continued to answer or try to answer -- but at some point it's not worth the time anymore.
  • Options
    yeah people i am from Turkey and a person trying to pass
    ccna at first time , yeah i said first time i trust myself
    but some things make me confused so that i want help
    from cisco gods you understood ?
    (but there is the the thing we couldn't conclude , you just write
    due to your knowledges but not for the question am i wrong? ,
    please try to reliase me)
  • Options
    That's funny as I saw people beating up on a guy getting confused and frustrated while communicating in a foreign tongue. I tend to try to cut non-native speakers as much slack as I can. There are enough misunderstandings on the Internet between English speakers due to the lack of facial expression. Until the point he becomes outright rude, I think we should still try to help him and I just didn't see that happening. Yes, his question was answered, but most of the answers were verbose and he's just not getting it.

It may surprise you ed but I find many of your posts --ummm-- unconstrained. You're usually providing valuable, insightful answers so I figure we can ignore the presentation.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration. I answer the same stupid questions my coworkers ask me on a weekly basis and I get problems due to their incompetence dumped in my lap while being the most junior guy there. I'm currently dealing with an email 10 replies deep that began with the error message, "Command Authorization Failed" yet nobody will look at TACACS+ permissions! Why not do it with a smile on my face?

Remember, everyone you interact with is fighting their own personal battle.

Now for a little levity

What do you call a person who speaks two languages?

bilingual

What do you call a person who speaks three languages?

trilingual

What do you cal a person who speaks one language?

American
  • Options
    kobem,
    Let us get this back to your topic.

Is this clear? IGRP uses hop count to prevent routing loops, not as a metric. IGRP uses bandwidth AND delay as the metric.
  • Options
    yeah david i know what you think about me and you see me " fool"
    but i found a great site about cisco "here" and i thought i could
    get help so i wrote these

so again i didn't fed up with this

why was the answer "hop count " for the question about igrp?

and we ping us i mean 127.0.0.1 it's purpose is test but
    if our ping is succesful to the destination the network to the destination
    is ok am i wrong?
    (so how do i connect to the internet(big network) , with ping
    no with NIC and the technology so doesn't ping show us connected
    to the internet?)

after these questions you think i understand nothing from network
    but i ask with persistance not to fed up with you
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is for a couple of the responders, not the OP.
    I hope webmaster doen't mind, but I want to share with you something he shared with me regarding this site.
    webmaster wrote:
    We have a large amount of international visitors. Do not comment on the quality of a member’s English grammar and spelling skills unless it is meant as constructive criticism.

We are here to teach and to learn, not to play police officer, but using our site and the forums is a privilege, not a right. Treat ALL people with respect and be professional at all time.

Please take note. Thanks!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I agree with David about the English (not about the friendliness in our forums icon_wink.gif ). Even though English is an important 'skill' necessary to learn Cisco or almost anything in IT, this is a Cisco cert forum, not an English language forum. So let's just leave the comments regarding someone's English out of it (unless it's mine icon_lol.gif). We are afterall an international site.

Having said that, Mike is right about the questions having been answered before. We are all hear to help, but you have to show some effort from your side as well.
    It isn't, and it wasn't. It's bandwidth and delay. This is a good example of why you should learn the technologies and not 'learn' practice questions. They are not an authorative source. In other words, the question is wrong.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    This is for a couple of the responders, not the OP.
    I hope webmaster doen't mind
    Not at all. I had a feeling I was repeating myself icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    kobem wrote:
    and we ping us i mean 127.0.0.1 it's purpose is test but
    if our ping is succesful to the destination the network to the destination
    is ok am i wrong?
    (so how do i connect to the internet(big network) , with ping
    no with NIC and the technology so doesn't ping show us connected
    to the internet?)
    127.0.0.1 is a local loopback address.

Pinging that 127.0.0.1 local loopback address shows you that the local TCP/IP Network software is working.

Pinging a remote destination address (like yahoo) and getting a response shows you that you have a TCP/IP connection that works through layer 3 of the OSI model. So yes -- when you get a ping response from the destination -- its working. It also shows that you have your side of the connection configured to work, and the connection in between is working.

To do a complete test of the connection through all 7 layers of the OSI model -- you could use an application like Telnet.
  • Options
    kobem wrote:
    yeah david i know what you think about me and you see me " fool"
    I think one of us is confused. I'm on your side and do not think you are a fool. I commend you for learning something in English.
    The answer at the website where you found the question is wrong. The correct answer should be bandwidth and delay.
    and we ping us i mean 127.0.0.1 it's purpose is test
    We ping 127.0.0.1 to test everything inside our computer. It tests the programs that are part of the OSI model that communicate with our network card. In your network settings on your computer it tests the "TCP/IP"
    after these questions you think i understand nothing from network
    but i ask with persistance not to fed up with you
    I think different and will continue to answer your questions.
  • Options
    i tested ping 127.0.0.1 when i am offline and online and i received same result.

ping doesn't show you are connected to internet or network?
    your NIC card and modem shows ?

and when i am offline and online , ipconfig values
    were different. (one of them displayed default gateway ... ,one of them
    just said disconnected)

so when i am in a router and then ping to another and it is succesful
    doesn't this show they are connected ?

SO WHAT DOES SHOW US ONE END AND THE OTHER IS CONNECTED
    TO EACH OTHER OR NETWORKS?
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What the heck, I'll give a go on trying to explain. OK, when you ping 127.0.0.1, you are not actually pinging an internet address or a remote device as such, so doesn't matter if you are online or offline, you are just testing the TCP/IP setup on the local machine you are pinging on. Now if you were to remove the TCP/IP protocol stack, then you would get an error response, it does not matter if you are online or offline when you ping your localhost address (127.0.0.1), as long as TCP/IP is setup correctly, the response will be the same.

Now if you tried pinging your default gateway when you were offline, then you would get a Host Unreachable error, because your PC would not be able to connect to the router in question. This will obviously test network connection, because unlike the local host ping, you are trying to establish a connection to a device that is not local to your PC. Again, Ping 127.0.0.1 only tests to see if TCP/IP is running on your PC properly, NOT if you are online or offline, there is a difference.

Not to be rude, I really don't know a lot compared to most on this forum, but I would recommend going through the Network+ certification before CCNA, it will give you a broad understanding on a variety of topics, including the loopback issue, that will set you in good stead for the CCNA. A lot of CCNA literature expect you to know this, and thus may be quite confusing and frustrating if you dont. We all have to learn to walk before we can run!

Good Luck with your studies.