Options

Baby Steps...

MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
Well, I went ahead and purchased Doyle's Volume I & II as well as some CCIE R&S flash cards today. Figure I might as well go ahead and start getting some IE reading down now. Why wait, as the saying goes. I have a tentative plan to take the written exam in May.

Comments

• Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    Best of luck, I hope to go for this in the next few years.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I would get my CCIE if i had the hands on experience. Its ok to know the theory, but if you can't troubleshoot at your job you're screwed. Having the CCIE title is a big deal and if you can't perform people will laugh at you. Thats why I think I will wait 3-5 years before getting my IE. That is just my opinion ;) I have been reading the doyle books anyways!
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
  • Options
    Rock on...that's what I'm talking about...let's move my test date to next month icon_eek.gif kidding icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You got to start somewhere. And you got to start sometime. And since getting the CCIE can take a while (and cost a bunch of money) you might as well plan ahead! icon_thumright.gif

Experience is important -- but I've seen people who had 20 years of experience -- where it was the same 1 year done 20 times, just at different levels.

I'll take a "whiz kid" who learns fast and actually does more in 6 months than that guy with 20 years of experience ever did in his 1 year of real experience.

5 years in a large corporate environment as a CCNP doing the same things over and over probably doesn't match the actual experience you'd get in 1 year working for a good business partner doing something different every day.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    You got to start somewhere. And you got to start sometime. And since getting the CCIE can take a while (and cost a bunch of money) you might as well plan ahead! icon_thumright.gif

Experience is important -- but I've seen people who had 20 years of experience -- where it was the same 1 year done 20 times, just at different levels.

I'll take a "whiz kid" who learns fast and actually does more in 6 months than that guy with 20 years of experience ever did in his 1 year of real experience.

5 years in a large corporate environment as a CCNP doing the same things over and over probably doesn't match the actual experience you'd get in 1 year working for a good business partner doing something different every day.

I will consider your advice:)
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Well, I wish I was a whiz kid, but unfortunately I have to study my backside off to get anywhere icon_cry.gif but, it builds character as my dad would say hehe. Anyway, let the journey begin... icon_study.gif
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hm, to each his own but i don't like rushing things, reading too much of material that i will not use for now is getting my head all mixed up with different subjects. I guess since you're almost a CCNP you could jump ahead into reading CCIE books, just to give yourself that extra push for the pass.
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
  • Options
    Has anyone read:

"CCIE Routing and Switching Official Exam Certification Guide, Second Edition (Geier, Mehta, Odom, ISBN# 1587201410)"

Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • Options
    MrD wrote:
    Any thoughts?
    I couldn't wait for the 2nd Edition... so I stuck with the 1st Edition.

I'd rate it a must read for the Written Exam. Use it and the Written Exam Blueprint as a guide to what you should read in that super-mongo suggested CCIE R&S reading list. Then read it as your last book before you schedule the written exam (going back to any other books for more specifics if you get hung up on something in it).
  • Options
    Cool dealio..thanks for the help Mike
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I got this title, whilst its an excellent book, you cant rely on it being a single source, it only really provides and overview, for the CCIE written I would Add Doyle I and II, a Qos book and you CCNP books, I also used internet routing achitectures (difinitive BGP guide)

That reminds me Darby should be locked away down the CCIE torture chamber by now wonder how hes getting on, were " routing" for you man
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Yeah I ordered Doyle I&II yesterday and was planning on ordering this today. I guess I'll throw in a QoS & BGP book as well. Any thoughts on which QoS book? Thanks.

This is the one on the "list":
    Cisco Catalyst QoS: Quality of Service in Campus Networks
    (Flannagan, Froom, Turek: Cisco Press 1-58705-120-6)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i plan on making my way to IE written sooner than orginally planned.. i was thinking on doing qos and bgp before hand but i will have to add them in during the process
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Big K! Hey, which QoS/BGP books are you going to use?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i dunno going to look them up and pick.. but i do plan on using knet vids and cbt nuggets if available icon_wink.gif

add:

maybe this book i looked up the qos book and this was the most recent

Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide 2 ed.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    MR D I used the QOS exam certification guide, which was more than fine, as it covered WAN stuff such as FRTS also which the other title you mentioned didn't, I go for min number of books, icon_twisted.gif otherwise I spend my life in the damm things icon_evil.gif
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Now the waiting game begins...
  • Options
    cool; that's the one I'm gonna get then...

as for BGP I guess I'm going with:
    Internet Routing Architectures (2nd Edition)
  • Options
  • Options
    I also like Parkhurst for OSPF.

He's a proctor (Hint Hint)
    Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook

and

Cisco OSPF Command and Configuration Handbook

Very nice books -- The Parkhurst OSPF book was already on my "rack reading list" -- sit at my routers and try everything from the book. I also read it for the written exam (heck, I read the entire suggested reading list for the written exam, and then tossed more books in).

I read the Parkhurst BGP book for the written (and the BGP exam), and probably should add it to the rack reading list.

I also used the BGP Design and Implementation book by Zhang and Bartell -- but this may be considered BGP overkill. Doyle, Halabi and Parkhurst are probably enough for BGP.

<those BGP lab points will be mine! I will not be denied! icon_twisted.gif >
  • Options
    BGP Rules The World! :) Thanks for the input from everyone!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    I also like Parkhurst for OSPF.

He's a proctor (Hint Hint)
    Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook

and

Cisco OSPF Command and Configuration Handbook

Very nice books -- The Parkhurst OSPF book was already on my "rack reading list" -- sit at my routers and try everything from the book. I also read it for the written exam (heck, I read the entire suggested reading list for the written exam, and then tossed more books in).

I read the Parkhurst BGP book for the written (and the BGP exam), and probably should add it to the rack reading list.

I also used the BGP Design and Implementation book by Zhang and Bartell -- but this may be considered BGP overkill. Doyle, Halabi and Parkhurst are probably enough for BGP.

<those BGP lab points will be mine! I will not be denied! icon_twisted.gif >

from what I am reading though there are alot of errors contained in those books.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    from what I am reading though there are alot of errors contained in those books.
    You can download errata for the Parkhurst OSPF and the BGP Design and Implementation books. Neither one of these is that bad for mistakes.

The Parkhurst BGP book could use a downloadable eratta doc, but one isn't available. With this one, if it looks wrong, try it out a few routers -- which does make it a useful Lab Practice book, maybe not so much a Written Exam read. icon_lol.gif Yeah, this one is a good "hands on" book.
  • Options
    Alright...CCIE time! I plan on aceing the written here shortly and schedule the lab for May, maybe. I figure I'll get the CCIP on my journey towards the lab. Just my tentative early thoughts :)
  • Options
    Ok, I just finished 8 hours of BGP CCIE Nuggets. Wow, time to soak it all in while I eat some pizza and get a haircut. Then it's time to watch 10 hours of CWNA vid's...should be able to get them all done today.