Options

RIS Answer File

I am unclear on the name of the file created for a RIS install. Does the name of the .sif file matter when doing a RIS install. I am using Exam Cram 2 and the MS Press Coursebook and neither one of them is specific about the name of the file. I am concerned since the CD and Sysprep need specific names (I think) winnt.sif and unattended.txt respectively.

Thanks
There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe it is unattend, but can't remember for sure. MS site will probably have the answer to a quick search. I do know that the .sif is ONLY for a CD install.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RIS creates a default unattended installation file with the name of Ristndrd.sif. This is just the default name. With RIS, you can associate multiple RIS unattended installation files with different images.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Ok, did both suggestions and found it. Ristndrd.sif is the default name when the file is created on the RIS server. I was using setupmgr from the xp support tools and getting a default filename of remboot.sif.

Problem solved - thanks!

icroyal - that avatar cracks me up!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See how much I know! icon_lol.gif

I suppose if I had specified "winnt.sif" I would have looked like I knew what I was talking about. icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.