Options

Contract 2 year job worth it?

routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi! I was offered a job with a company for 2 years contact to perm hire? Is this a death sentence? Why do they want two years in advance? Should I go with the position? It pays around 50k a year and a list of job duties.

Network Tech

Job Description: Responsible for the timely installation, troubleshooting, activation, and data validation of all scheduled events associated with the provisioning Business Voice over IP services. Responds to clients escalations and expedites on MACD requests. Tracks own workflow and milestones.

Skills: Excellent Communications & Interpersonal skills; Strong customer interface skills; General knowledge of Managed Services; IP knowledge; Microsoft office skills; Local experience a plus; Network technology & terminology (T1, T3, etc.) a plus; Cisco Router knowledge a plus

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on how that offer compares to what you currently have. A bird in the hand....
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    It blows away what I currently have which is ziltch. I just don't want to be trapped in a job for 2 years if I don't like it. does anyone know what MACD is?
  • Options
    ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It blows away what I currently have which is ziltch. I just don't want to be trapped in a job for 2 years if I don't like it. does anyone know what MACD is?

If you end up not liking the job, you're not obliged to stay there for a full two years. Just look for a different job while you're there.
  • Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Usually a contract means that you're offered work for that length of time and usually they mention if there's possibility of permanent hire or contract extension. I haven't seen where you're obligated to stay for 2 years if you don't like it. Personally, if you're interested in it right now, take the job and you'll know within 1-2 weeks if you like it or not. If you don't simply start looking for another job while you're still at that one. As sprkmrk said, try to find out everything the company has to offer and find out about the possibility of being hired permanently if you like the job and advancement opportunities.

As from what MACD is, only thing I can come up with is this;
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/macd.asp
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    does anyone know what MACD is?
    If I had to bet money, I'd say it's an acronym for Moves, Adds, Changes, Disconnects. I processed telecom work orders for a university for 6 months, and this was all I did.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    here's the short you don't have to work where you do now but you choose to

so its good they aleast offer 2 years vs 3 months..

easy questions to answer

1. will your current employer pay you what they offering
    2. will your current employer provide you with more experiences or just the same

icon_wink.gif only you can answer these
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll take the gig and see how it goes. If not I'll floor it faster than speedy gonzalez
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Keep us posted on how the job goes
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    does anyone know what MACD is?
    If I had to bet money, I'd say it's an acronym for Moves, Adds, Changes, Disconnects. I processed telecom work orders for a university for 6 months, and this was all I did.

I agree with you on this. That's what we use to refer to MACD.