Options

2nd Attempt Input

ScubaSteveTXSTScubaSteveTXST Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All:

I'm new to the forums, I attempted to to take the 291 the other day and I didn't do so hot 593.

After feeling rather down, I am trying to find a way make a come back on a re-take. I have passed all of my MCP's to date by using MeasureUP's practice kits. If I got a question wrong I'd pour over the explanation and try to nail the concept.

However, on the 291 I found a few items on the exam that were not in the kit. IE WSUS.. lucky those questions didn't nail me. I seemed to have performed a 50% on the following topics:

1. Implement, Manage and Maintain IP Addressing.
2. Implement, Manage and Maintain Name Resolution.
3. Implement, Manage and Maintain Network Security.

The remote access topic I got 100% on and the maintaining infrastructure 75%.

I have been pouring over how to improve, I have decided to purchase the Microsoft Self Study kits in addition to the measure up kit. I currently have a SBS 2003 server and I am in the process of setting up a Standard Ed server to get more hands on experience in dealing with DNS zone transfers and performance monitoring.

Does anyone have any good resources that I should hit up to get a handle on these topics. I want to retake but I want to do this right. On all of my other exams I have gotten a 800 at least and this is really bugging me. I would be happy for some pointers.

Thanks!
Scuba Steve
MCSE 2003.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best thing you could do is go get the MS Press book for 70-291 and make sure you read over the sections on the topics you missed. Also, check out TechNet for specifics you're unsure of. As for other training material, I could really only recommend Testout and CBT Nuggets.

It's a very good idea to get away from SBS while you're studying for these exams. It's a very limited edition of Windows Server 2003, and it doesn't allow for the freedom to set up domains and domain controllers to the degree you need for infrastructure studies. Stick with the Standard Edition, and use the 180-day trial edition that comes with the MS Press book for your secondary server.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    However, on the 291 I found a few items on the exam that were not in the kit. IE WSUS.. lucky those questions didn't nail me. I seemed to have performed a 50% on the following topics:

1. Implement, Manage and Maintain IP Addressing.
    2. Implement, Manage and Maintain Name Resolution.
    3. Implement, Manage and Maintain Network Security.

The remote access topic I got 100% on and the maintaining infrastructure 75%.

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum!
    I failed my 291 as well, twice actually. I was really bummed out.
    IP addressing.....review subnetting and default gateways and etc?
    name resolution, oh boy, I didnt believe this as well, but 291 is definitely a DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS, DNS exam.
    network security....IPSEC, and DNSSEC? I found kerberos quite a chanlleging topic...

anyway, good luck, I'm retaking mine next week.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    ScubaSteveTXSTScubaSteveTXST Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for your input o far I should have those press books by Tuesday :).
    Scuba Steve
    MCSE 2003.