Options

Outlook - Unkown Error

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hi all,

Let me start by saying i have the unfortunate job of sifting through our companies thousands of e-mails picked up by the spam filters.

Recently we turned on the baysian filter which has been doing a great job of blocking some new spam, but also blocks to many e-mails that we need. I have got the art of going through them prety down pat, as i search by size and anything under about 45k gets the boot. However recently a message has been caught that is causing me heartache.

The message cannot open nor can it delete. If i try either i got a message "unknown error" (Gee thanks Microsoft for really narrowing that one down). Has anyone encountered this before and if so how can i remove it.

It is becoming a major nuisance when i try to delete a massive stack of mail, its among them somewhere and always stops the operation and i have to find where it is to exclude it.

Also why im on this, is there a way that anyone knows off that you can set something up to say, anything with a .doc extension can come through the filter. We are running GFI and cant seem to find an option to allow this. I waork for a recruitment company and all we want to let through are resumes, but they keep continually getting caught by the baysian filter and it is not learning how to differtiate between them and spam like it is suppose to.

Any help on either these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would call GFI with the question about the filter if someone here can't answer it.

919-297-1350 or email support@gfiusa.com

What version of Exchange are you running?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise. Does anyone know about this naughty e-mail though?
  • Options
    I asked about what version of Exchange you are running to try and help with that. You can do a "mailbox cleanup" from the Exchange server against whatever mailbox you are dropping the suspected spam into. The unknown error probably has something to do with a message being marked as "private" or something from the sender. A mailbox cleanup at the server level (rather than as an admin logged on through Outlook) will delete it. However the exact way to do so depends on what version of Exchange you are running.
  • Options
    Sorry about that, i obviously wasn't paying enough attention when reading through your reply. We are running exchange version 2003 SP2 Enterprise edition.
  • Options
    On the Exchange server you can see if you can configure recipient policies, although it's not exactly what you're looking for it may work.
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/319188

Otherwise, have you tried the Outlook 2003 Mailbox Cleanup found under Tools?