Options

Jobs in networking in the UK

This post applies to anyone in the UK. What do you think te networking scene is like at the moment in the UK? There are alot of jobs advertised here in the UK for cisco and microsoft etc but the pay has took a nose dive over the last few years. CCIEs have gone from a 6 figure salary to like 30 40 grand which is silly cos there are less than 10 000 in the world! What is happening to the industry and do you guys think itll ever recover?

Post with your experiences or opinions............ :D
Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '

Comments

• Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i am growing tireder by the day of doing it support in the school where i work. my job is mainly producing booklets, photocopying and occassional photography (and general dogsbody, but who isn't?). if i can get my act together and return to my microsoft studies, i won't get out of the place!
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm positive it will recover... but it will never be the way it was 5-2 years ago. I've filled out a related survey a while back and it showed that most others are positive as well. A little increase in the last quarter, and things should, supposedly, go much better during 2004. There's also been a noticable increasement in training investements (hence advertising for IT training :) ) over the last couple of weeks, which is typically a very good sign.

I just looked at some local jobbanks (in The Netherlands) and well... doesn't look bad at all... although I do see the same silly salary for CCIEs... icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    how silly exactly? Over here in uk they are just good not great at most 50k used to be double that. I want CCIE one day how hard is it to get?
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I've seen two with range 30,000-40,000 euros... (33,000-44,000 USD)

CCIE is the most difficult IT certification to achieve, the 9-hour lab exam cannot be learned from a book, you really do need hands-on... with some of the most modern equipment and technologies. A CCIE invest typically an amount of 20,000 to 30,000 in a home lab and training material... unless you have several of years experience as a real network expert.
    Lab costs $1250 per try, people need average of 2.6 times to pass, 80% fails the first try, only about 10 places world wide where you can take the exam, 2 in the US, not sure it's available in UK, you may need to go to Brussels (Belgium)... due to huge demand, you need to schedule at least 2 or 3 months in advance.

The CCIE written part is like the CCNA/CCNP exams... except for the price: $300.

Check the Cisco site for more extensive info...