Options

Contract to Perm Help Desk vs. Perm not IT JOB

Guys,

Need some quick advice i just finish my interview today w/ a contract to Perm Help Desk position for a manufacturing company this is in support for there ERP systems that they are going to implement, But right now im wrking full time not in IT Field. The rate that they are offering me is the same im getting right now but i got a better benefits now. This company that i had interview got a history of lay off and now they are open again with new management. Would you think is it worth that i would give up my current job and go for this I know that the company is not that stable or should I stay with current one and look for better one.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Keep your current job, and continue looking (IMNSHO).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    It looks like you are in SC. I recently received a call about a one year to maybe more contract in North Carolina. I think she said Research Triangle or something like that. It wasn't what I was looking for nor, my salary range. I will PM you the email with her contact information and the job description. She said that there is 40 positions last time she called telling me if I could come down in my hourly rate icon_lol.gif .

Famos

EDIT: If you do give her a call, say that you receive her information about a job from a close friend . I don't want the contractor thinking I'm posting the job all over the internet. Thanks.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    deciding on whether or not to leave depends on your goals. I left a permanent position to do contract work only b/c I was getting to do the type of IT stuff I want to do and also felt like I would just waste away in the "comfort zone" there and always make excuses not to leave and make the bigger jump just like mgmt was making excuses not to move me up.

It was a big step for me (especially since I am married) but it was a good one because I do remote desktop support vs. data processing now and I now have 2 more certs and much more knowledge.

Your situation will be different. weigh the pros and cons. and then decide what's best you and your career (and family of course).

It does also depend on the company you interviewed with and the temp company you would be working for. and what kind of help would they give you if you got laid off, contract ran out and didnt renew. those kind of options and things.

one of the main reasons i made the jump is b/c the temp/contract company i work for is very reputable and the benefits are outstanding

good luck and let us know what you decide to do
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    HIT QUOTE INSTEAD OF EDIT BY MISTAKE.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for all the info..

I would decide on this if they given me the offer for the job I will keep my options open I will also discuss with the recruiter what other options they can offer me. FYI the recruiter is SPHERION do somebody knows how good or bad there reputation when assisting employee in finding a job?
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    advice on.

Just remember to have all of your bases covered, you've weighed all of the pros and cons, etc. and you should be fine.

Also make sure this would put you ahead (skill-wise, experience-wise, etc.)

good luck
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.