Options

Should I apply now or wait...

zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok I recently passed my A+ hardware test and next week I'm taking OS(and assumably passing hehe)...I have like the worst job ever especially since it's the holiday season...

Should I start applying and putting up my resume on dice once I am A+ certified or should I maybe wait to get my network+ exams or perhaps even more. Basically I don't even care what I do, I would love to do just about any entry level networking/computer tech job that doesn't totally suck and piss me off. lol. I know that probably sounds weird but I just want to get into the field and get some experience and get away from my current situation as fast as possible.

Is there any reason I should wait and take network+ or possibly a few more certifications before I begin applying? Will my pay go up considerably if I do so or does it matter a whole lot? I plan in the future to probably be in the networking aspect of IT, unless I really like being a computer tech at work, I know that's all I do at home.

edit: I spell bad

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    put your self out there and apply it;s always worth a shot
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    You sound like me bro. I'm just about ready to take my Net+. I really want to get out of my job... Not really bad $$$ wise, just really tired of doing what i'm doing...dont' see any vertical movement, etc.

Do your research, from what I've seen, monster, career builder, etc. don't look like they have promising leads a lot of the time. But there's always that chance. Apply to everything.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Place your resume out there now on the various websites. When you do get more certs and expereince, just update your resume. You will not believe the amount of email offers you will get from recruiters and Head Hunters. The recruiters are usually recruiting for short term to long term contracts where you will be paid through them. The Head Hunters are looking to fill positions for companies that hire them. They will find you, you get the job, then they are paid. These are usually full time permanent positions.

Just place on your resume that you are currently working toward the certifications that you plan on taking in the near future. That will get you many hits. And when you actually receive the certs, the hits will actually turn into offers by employers calling or emailing you.

Most of the people who call or email me about job offers usually tell that they saw my resume on either dice.com. The local offers usually are finding my resume on monster or careerbuilder.

Just beware...your email and phone will start going crazy with all of the offers...nationwide. In my experience of course.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice, I think I will put out my resume on dice at least once I get A+ certified. Then I'll hope for the best. I'll probably look for a permanent position since I really want stability...My fear is taking something short-term, having to quit my job I have, and then not being able to find something else in time. That would suck.