Options

*do a little dance*

nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
I got a job. I will be an "operations intern" at one of the data centers for my company. My pay starts out at $16 but when I complete the MCSE I will get a $4 raise.

I'm thinking that I was lucky. Six months ago I didn't know the difference from a router and a switch, but I studied and was able to answer all the questions that they asked during the three interviews.

icon_exclaim.gif:Dicon_exclaim.gif
GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Count yourself fortunate, and hit the ground running my friend! Congrats!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Good job!! Your hard work and studying got you that job. YOu got the interview, you nailed the questions, and now you have the job.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wow 20 dollars an hour in the near future, that's great to hear! I hope I am as lucky as you to get such a good paying job to start out with room to grow as well.
  • Options
    Yeah, one of the best parts is that I get to do what I want for the most part. They said that if I am interested in any aspect of the system or network... just ask the person in charge of that area and he will help me learn it.
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sounds like you have some good people in charge. Only a few weeks until I'm ready to float my resume around, and if I'm as lucky as you that means a month until I get a core 2 duo system buaha
  • Options
    ThePenTThePenT Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what did they ask you? icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    That's really great, man. Sounds like you've gotten into a good thing, and the fact that they're willing to let you grow in the direction you want also sounds pretty good. It's similar to where I work, actually, where they want me to "learn everything, but find my niche". I hope you enjoy the experience, and I can't say that I'm not jealous of the payscale. Feels good to really see the fruits of your labors, doesn't it, having gone from "nothing" to a sys admin in a relatively short amount of time?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great opportunity. Especially the part where they say if you want to learn a specific part about the network, just ask the person in charge. A grat learning opportunity with room for advancement, as well as a good pay for starters. Work hard at this job. It is the ticket to your future. I'm sure you already know this though. Again, good job!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    So today was my first day. It was pretty interesting. I am centered in the "NOC". The company is doing some major reworking of the datacenter so I will be spending a lot of timing adding the new servers and network infrastructure.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Congrats....

Keep us posted