Options

Study Recommendations

rugrat0357rugrat0357 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning on taking my security+ either the 15th or the 17th of this month (Nov). So I'm getting down to the wire. So far I've studied the book published by Thomson Education and the Total Recall Book.. I'm starting on the Tech notes here on this site. My background consists of A+ and Network+, and I am currently attending a Vocational Technical school.

I'm more than a bit nervous, I'm the first one to take the exam from the class. Could anyone please suggest some study tips?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Make sure you've studied up on cryptography and be sure you have memorized the common ports. Aside from that, if you've read through the book and also gotten a little bit of hands-on experience, you should be okay. The real trick is to make sure you've gotten a chance to see some of the different technologies in action, and not just in written form. Aside from that, it's all pretty straightforward.

Incidentally, I used the Thomson book, as well. I enjoyed it, and I thought it was pretty thorough, but it's always a good idea to have at least one more book or training course for reference. If you need something else to study, I'd suggest checking out the CBT Nuggets Security+ training, or the one from Testout.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    rugrat0357rugrat0357 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch for the info... I haven't had much hands on with the server parts, but securing a LAN I do have quite a bit of hands on. I'm planning on putting a file server on my LAN next week, needed add on as well as for pratice.

Do you have any suggestions on an easy way to keep the diffrent types of cryptography strate? (Symmetric, asymettric mostly.) That seems to be my main problem at the moment.

My faveorite thing in the Thomson was the chickenwire... It was a running joke in class for awile there. :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Hmm. . . I don't know of a specific place to study the cryptography, short of buying a book on the subject. The study guides on this site are pretty good. Also, see if you can get your hands on the lab manual for the Thomson book, it helped me out a lot.
    My faveorite thing in the Thomson was the chickenwire... It was a running joke in class for awile there.

I loved that. I brought my teacher some chickenwire and told him to put it up around the room where we have wireless access. Took him a couple of hours, before he got it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.