Options

Microsoft & Novell join forces!

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Just a couple of days ago Novell and Microsoft announced a remarkable collaboration. Follow the links below for more information and the press releases:

icon_arrow.gifwww.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/18041.html

icon_arrow.gifwww.novell.com/linux/microsoft/

Can it be they learned from the great Netware vs Windows NT* war? Or is Microsoft (or/and Novell) keeping their enemies even closer than their friends? Is this (also) a strategy from Microsoft to try and avoid more law suits in the EU? (That also means Microsoft can't buy Novell). At the same time Microsoft is helping Novell becoming first in line for the throne again. RedHat and even Apple won't be very happy with this news though.

I think it's great news though. Partly because it will be good for Linux and it supports what we've often tried to convey in the forums here; use the OS that's most suitable for your needs. Which in a large network environment almost automatically means you need both Linux and Windows. At least most professionals know Windows certainly isn't 'always' the best choice, so Microsoft can just as well admit that and try to turn it into something positive. The collaboration between Microsoft and Novell will definitely lead to better interoperability between (Suse-)Linux and Microsoft. But it will be interesting to see how much this will actuall influence new technologies and software. Microsoft products (.NET framework) on Linux... and vice versa, easier management of mixed environments, and of course the cliche 'lower TCO'.

Suse Linux exams as Microsoft electives seem like a logical effect.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There is a good chance that there will be a lot of cross-platform software happening. Novell already sponsors the Mono Project, which is the open-source environment which simulates the .NET framework. And, seeing as how Novell and Microsoft have similar ideas on how to manage a network, it's only been a matter of time until a Netware/AD crossover would happen.

It will be interesting to see if this type of "working together for a better world" type of move has anything to do with Microsoft's soon-to-be Chief Software Architect, Ray Ozzie, and his vision of what Microsoft should become.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Microsoft has always wanted to "invade" Linux using the .NET Framework and C#, but they don't need to partner with Novell to do it (or do they?).
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    jdmurray wrote:
    Microsoft has always wanted to "invade" Linux using the .NET Framework and C#, but they don't need to partner with Novell to do it (or do they?).

I don't think they'd mind using Novell as their ambassadors to the Linux world. After all, if Microsoft shows up and says "we want to work with the open source community", people are reluctant to accept it, to say the least. If Novell comes out and says "We're working with Microsoft to bridge the gap between the two formats", the Linux community is far more likely to be accepting of Microsoft products potentially running on Linux.

(P.S. Let's not kid ourselves, though. Resistance is futile. . .)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Microsoft learned they can buy off anyone. They bought off Apple. They bought off Sun. And now they bought off Novell. Heck, they even bought off the states and federal government even. All the laywers and politicians got paid, H1B visas went up, everyone's happy. :o

But Bill Gates is a really big philanthropist so it's all OK. icon_rolleyes.gif