Options

Client Server Network without DNS?

Hi guys i'm preparing for 70-291....

i have a question>> in a windows 2003 client Server Network, there must be a DNS server available before clients can be authenticated by Active Directory?
stonecold26.jpg

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Almost every part of Active Directory relies heavily on DNS.

In an Active Directory Integrated zone, you will see several folders in your primary zone. These include _mscds, _sites, _tcp, _udp, etc.. These folders store SRV records. SRV records are used to locate Domain Controllers in an Active Directory infrastructure. Take for instance, the _msdcs. It stores what servers are the global catalog servers, what domain controllers belong to which domain, which domain controller is the pdc, etc.. The _sites directory stores information such as which domain controller belongs to which site. etc..

Services use these SRV records to function within AD. When a client boots up, it will query DNS for the SRV records for a DC in its site. It knows which site its in based on subnet (more of a 294 topic) specifications in AD Sites and Services. The client will then get the SRV records for a DC in its site and attempt a logon to that DC. This is helpful in an AD enviornment with many DCs with many sites. Since the AD-integrated DNS zones stores which DCs belong to which sites, the client can login to a DC that is in the same site as the client allowing for a fast logon instead of randomly logging into a DC that could be anywhere in the world. This is one way DNS is relied upon for AD to function.

Here's a pretty good article I'd read:
    http://www.petri.co.il/active_directory_srv_records.htm
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Understood .....

Thx a lot for the info :)
    stonecold26.jpg