Options

70-270 before 70-290

I have read my material for 70-270 and have just begun 70-290. i have read some posts where folks are saying to take 290 before 270.

whats the deal? the only reason i have not taken 270 is life has been getting in the way and i have not scheduled the test. i want to do them together if possible

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    270 and 290 are both different in the sense you can take either first and they won't have an adverse affect on your learning ability. Every person I know that has done the MCSE curriculum has done 270 first. Good luck with your studies.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Yeah, I am one of the ones who suggests it. You don't have to do it that way, but I am sure glad that I did. Thinking about it now, I don't think it would have made a difference if I passed or failed 70-270 or 70-290, but I do think it made a difference in my score, and how soon I was able to take XP after taking server.

If I had to do it again, I'd still do it 70-290 first. If you take 70-270 first, I am sure you'll be fine because that is how most people do it. Just beware not to get a false sense of security from how you do on 70-270. 70-290 is a far more complicated exam.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The only reason I did the 70-290 (and 70-291 for that matter) before 70-270 is because I'd taken some classes where I got some time practicing on the Server boxes. I'd already bought the books for these classes, which happened to be the MS Press books for 70-290 and 70-291. If I was going straight into the MCSE and I needed a place to start, the XP test would be it. For me, though, it worked out pretty well, because I didn't really need to buy a book for the XP test, just study the things I didn't know in the Technotes and on TechNet, and work from the knowledge I already had from the server tests.

(P.S. Another thing which I enjoyed was not having 70-291 as the last obstacle in the way of getting my MCSA. I finished the infrastructure test, and all I had to do was pass the 70-270. Felt like a vacation, in comparison.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.