Options

IOS Command book for CCNA - Highly recommended!!!

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
I would just like to recommend a superb CCNA IOS command book from Cisco Press. I bought this 2 weeks ago and having this excellent reference guide to practice with on my kit is definately going to benefit me in my exam.

If you're familiar with the IOS already, understand the theory of most of the required commands and are really getting stuck into practising on routers and switches then this book is what you need. At the front it also has a "lookup section" i.e. "I want to configure my router for OSPF" Page***....."Configuring VLANs on a 1900 and 2950 Switch" Page***

Title - CCNA Portable Command Guide (Paperback)
ISBN 1587201585

Very Useful for the exam and as a reference book when I'm certified!

Comments

• Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've actually been wanting to get that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Does it seem to cover just about every CCNA level command as well as their individual abbreviations?
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for taking the time to post what you found helpful.

I'll be needing that book in oh i dunno 6 months maybe
  • Options
    DirtySouth wrote:
    I've actually been wanting to get that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Does it seem to cover just about every CCNA level command as well as their individual abbreviations?

Hi mate,

As far as I can see it's got everything you want to know and more i.e. DHCP config on a router is in the curriculum but not in the Lammle book.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18671
    gibby1801 wrote:
    I was caught off guard by one of the screens I saw from a "show run" command which had a ...... configured. The question wanted to know what need to be done (what was left off the configuration) in order to allow ........ Luckily, I have configured DHCP pools on routers at work, so I knew how to do it, but I had not seen that anywhere in any of the material I have studied.

At the front it has an "I want to....." section and then has 45 topics linked to page number, of which I would say the key topics are listed below. It also has a description of each command to the right hand side.

Vital topics
    - checking dce/dte connections without walking over to the router
    - configuring a switch (mainly vlans, but it is basically start to finish switch config)
    - Reviews VLSM
    - Config DHCP on a router (Apparently not in Lammle book but some people have had config q's on this in exam)
    - Config routing protocols (EIGRP, IGRP, RIP, RIPV2, OSPF)
    - Set console so that informational messages don't interrupt me (godsend as this used to be so annoying! lol)
    - Config register (Password recovery)
    - Setup Frame Relay, ISDN, NAT, PAT, PPP, HDLC, Spanning Tree

The format it is presented in is that it gives you all of the commands that lead up to the configuration from entering into global config so as opposed to saying "Go into global config mode then do the following" and listing the commands it gives examples as the following for configuring ermmmm ****flicking through pages***** Management VLAN IP address and default gateway on a switch I'll use as an example (instructions to get to global config were in previous pages to this ex):

Setting IP address and Default Gateway
    2900/2950 Series Switch

2900switch(config)#int vlan1 Enters virtual interface for VLAN1, the default VLAN on the switch
    2900switch(config-if)#ip address 172.16.10.2 255.255.255.0 Sets IP address............blah blah
    2900switch(config-if)#exit
    2900switch(config)#ip default-gateway 172.16.10.1 Allows IP information to exit the network

This is a very simple example but gives you the idea and the format is consistent. I read through it in a bookstore for half an hour before buying it to make sure it was what I wanted but it is definately a great tool and becoming crucial to me for preparing for the CCNA because it is a quick ref but also in depth.

The book is only about £10 UK pounds on Amazon.co.uk so not sure what currency you're on but approx 16 USD I would imagine but well worth it my friend.

Malc

*****UPDATE******
    Just forgot to mention everyone that this is NOT a CCNA study guide that will be sufficient on its own for studying for an exam. It is a CCNA IOS command guide with minimal description so I would recommend that you understand the theory of the course and commands prior to buying it.
  • Options
    zenzen wrote:
    thanks for taking the time to post what you found helpful.

I'll be needing that book in oh i dunno 6 months maybe

Keep plugging away man it's a long windy road but you'll get there. The theory at the start is a bummer but after I got that out of the way I have actually enjoyed learning for the CCNA (outside work in my spare time) and I never thought I'd say that!

Cheers

Malc
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    Cisco Press makes some good $hit. However, it is also the most boring thing you will ever read. They should start putting shots of bikini clad chicks every few pages to make sure you stay awake.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dissolved wrote:
    Cisco Press makes some good $hit. However, it is also the most boring thing you will ever read. They should start putting shots of bikini clad chicks every few pages to make sure you stay awake.
    LOL...that would definitely make it more interesting. :D