Options

info about CompTIA pointing system

borris9borris9 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
CompTIA website says in FAQ:
What is the minimum score required to pass the A+ linear exams covering the 2001 objectives?
469 for the Operating System Technologies exam. Both exams are graded on a scale of 100 – 900.

I have calculated that if 900 is 100% then i would need atleast 42 Qs correct to pass exam.

Does any one know how the pointing system works and how its weighed? im taking exam 2moro afternoon.
icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    manrick777manrick777 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure but I don't think it works that way, each question have different points. I spoke with them over the phone and they told me that some questions are heavier than others, so they would give more points. Some questions could be example 5 points but some others may be 2 points, depending of the difficulties of each questions. O think its the way they calculate your score.

Good luck
    Eric
  • Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    while it doesnt exactly work out to be 50% correct to pass thinking of it like that might help you relax.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    manrick777 wrote:
    some questions are heavier than others, so they would give more points. Some questions could be example 5 points but some others may be 2 points, depending of the difficulties of each questions. O think its the way they calculate your score.

so you can get less than half of the questions correct, but if they are heavy-scorers you could still pass? odd.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I get the feeling that over time, this weird way of scoring, ecspecially the less then 50% passing, is going to degrade the value of A+. They really need to make this thing a little harder. Otherwise it won't be worth th $200+ that they charge for the exam.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    the seemingly lower pass score does seem to be a cause for concern for many
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    A while back they changed the CCIE lab from 2 days to 1 to shorten the waiting period for this popular exam. In particular current CCIEs (who passed the two-day lab) where concerned with devaluation of the cert they worked so hard for. After many complaints and comments about this, Cisco decided to let the top-CCIE author (from Cisco press books) review the exam... after he did and stated the exam is at least as difficult as the old one, an end was put to most of the complaints...

Perhaps CompTIA should do the same... and ask Mike Meyers to review the exam... icon_idea.gificon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Webmaster wrote:
    Perhaps CompTIA should do the same... and ask Mike Meyers to review the exam... icon_idea.gificon_confused.gif:

hmm. Mike meyers. wasn;t there this very popular guy called Mark Minasi? same initials. icon_rolleyes.gif think he was some real computer feller. The first book i read about computers was his book. i think it was called the complete guide or something..

just asking, cuz that guy was on the top back in the days. don't see his name all over the place anymore.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    i remember the blurb with his books raving about his knowledge of nt4.

maybe he didn't learn anything after that. LOL
    A+ Moderator