Juniper vs Cisco...remote office war

MrDMrD Member Posts: 441

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I give Cisco 6 months before they come out with an answer that quiets the Juniper people down. I doubt Cisco is going let anyone try to take business away, without a response. It will be interesting........
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    yeah Cisco will release something...but I do like Juniper and the ease of setting up their gear. Some of Cisco gears could really use a nice full functional GUI. Thats where Juniper is creeping into the market.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    we jsut got a junipter SSG 5 and it works great for what we need it was relatively in expensive as well

unfortuantely the had the routing expert configure it all but the GUI seems nice and he told me there was nothing to it
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    I have a great Juniper firewall that I use at home. Nothing wrong with them they're great, They are also very popular in Asia - or so I hear icon_mrgreen.gif
    garv221 wrote:
    yeah Cisco will release something...but I do like Juniper and the ease of setting up their gear. Some of Cisco gears could really use a nice full functional GUI. Thats where Juniper is creeping into the market.

I agree with you to an extent, They are real easy to setup on the simple things i.e DHCP, NAT and Simple filtering but when it comes to more "advanced" features it's no walk in the park. That's just me personally :D:D

I have put my juniper studies on hold for now, But when they start to make a "real" presence I would be interested to pick them up again.

P.S There is a nice little Juniper Forum out there if anyone is interested. They have a few neat little articles on things like setting up a VPN on a netscreen :)
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    I think GUI's blow. I'm taking a Cisco security class right now and there is way too much GUI for my taste. Give me a CLI and I feel right @ home.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrD wrote:
    I think GUI's blow. I'm taking a Cisco security class right now and there is way too much GUI for my taste. Give me a CLI and I feel right @ home.

I agree, gui's are great for network management and simple troubleshooting
    but they also are of no use to tech guru.Lots of important protocols are hidden from the user and when vendors start implementing their own proprietary undocumented protocols to interwork with the gui it creates a nightmare for the newbie networker.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$