Need help setting up my cisco lab equipment

AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
Hey everyone, I finally got my stuff in a few days ago. I want to set everything up and start studying but I am slightly confused how the heck this all gets set up. The company i bought the stuff off of gave me a cable that I assume is used to connect the routers to simulate a WAN...although I am not 100% sure....

the two cables on top are the V.35 DTE & DCE M-F cables....the black cable on the bottom left is the same type connection that I believe i can use instead of the ones on top. I put the 1,2, and 3's where i thought the connections should be. Is this right?

equipment1.jpg

I also got two of these little guys which I am unsure exactly what they do. Are they optional or are they a vital part of setting everything up? I did some searching but I could not find anything that explained them good enough. Its seems they indicate traffic flow and convert rj45 to serial scratchhead.gif
equipment2.JPG

Ok now after a long winded post thank you for any help anyone can offer me. This is my first time ever setting up equipment like this...thanks!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I've already taken the pictures from my own lab items and will finish the "CCNA TechLab: The Hardware" tomorrow... That document will be a description of the devices and cabling required to perform our CCNA TechLab (more labs will be added soon) and is pretty much exactly what you need.

But in short: (click image for a huge version)

cl_0009_thumb.jpg
    I also got two of these little guys which I am unsure exactly what they do. Are they optional or are they a vital part of setting everything up? I did some searching but I could not find anything that explained them good enough. Its seems they indicate traffic flow and convert rj45 to serial
    These are Ethernet transceivers, vital... you'll have to connect these to the AUI port (which is traditional Ethernet, hence it does not convert to serial) and to the transceiver you connect your PC or switch (with a cross-over cable)

The light blue cable connects to the console port of a router and to a serial port on your PC. Start up hyperterminal and check out our technotes for more information on how to connect to it and configure it...

I hope this gets you start... Have fun! :D
  • seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    nice gear but you forgot to tell him about how the DCE DTE cables teminate together to form a simulated WAN link between 2 routers via serial 0 to serial 0 like in your pic
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    No I didn't forget... I'm saving that for the document tomorrow... ;) and with that big male and female connector it's impossible to connect them incorrectly...

Here are the pictures I was talking about (click them for larger version):
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml

I'll include the steps to connect them and the specs of the cables and connectors tomorrow.
  • jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much did that setup cost if you don't mind me asking?
  • AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    for the two routers and 1 switch $459...here is the link on eaby where i got it from. This seller has a ton of auctions for CCNA lab equipment...keep your eyes open for them if you interested or just email them....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28033&item=3046532970
    Yeah that def clears things up for me. I prolly didn't even need the switch but if I was going to use it, another would be nice i guess...hmmm

I really can't wait for you to finish the CCNA Lab document....woohoo :D
    here is the reference site including documentation and all for the Cisco 2500 series routers...if you have other equipment, just search and navigate to it via the menu on the left. I am gonna save and print out some of these install and config docs...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/index.html

Since I have the cable (the lower left one) I will not need to use the two big male and female cables. i wish i knew they were gonna include that cable...Could have saved myself $50 icon_sad.gif

I am going to hook everything up this weekend. Thanks again for the great Technote! I already have it printed out and handy :D