Options

Problem with page file

tiggertigger Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a w2k box that i have just upgraded to SP4. Now, I am getting a page file problem, I was like o.k, no big deal, go change it right. Well, the page file defaults to 20Mb so I make it bigger and restart. Upon start up, it defaults back to 20Mb.

crash.gif Any suggestions...

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    First, make sure you have applied all of the post-SP4 critical and security updates. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your disk controller and motherboard.

The usual suggestions for swap file problems are to make sure you enough free space on the partition your are placing the swap file on, run ScanDisk to find/fix any disk errors, and then defrag the partition, specifying to defrag the swap file as well. You can also try moving the swap file to a different (ScanDisked and defragged) partition. I like to have multiple swap files on separate partitions.

I prefer to have the minimum swap file size set to 75% of my total RAM, and the maximum size set to 150%. For a machine with 512MB of RAM, I would have a single swap file 384-768MB in size, or two swap files on different partitions, each 192-384MB in size. This is typically a recommended configuration only for servers, but disk space is so plentiful and cheap these days I also configure my workstations this way.

Normally, if you have enough free RAM, your swap file(s) are rarely used. However, some applications are written to use swap file space for temporary data storage regardless of how much free RAM is available. If you are getting a lot of swap file activity then check your amount of available memory. You may need to install more RAM.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    The only real benefit from having two swap files would be if they were on two separate physical disks. Having them on two different partitions on the same disk would not result in an increase in performance. Unless that is what you meant to say. Just trying to prevent any confusion :D. Also Microsoft's policy on swap file size is 1.5x (150%) for the initial size and 2.5x (250%) for the maximum size.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yeah, I should have made it clear that the partitions must be on separate physical disks. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

And the 150%/250% only seems necessary if you are expecting a tremedous overrun on the amount of free RAM you have available. RAM is so cheap these days you should never come close to needing that much swap space. Think of the performance hit if you did!