Options

TCP Ports

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does Anyone have a good easy way of memorizing TCP Ports (FTP,TFTP,HTTP etc).

I seem to be able to memorise these then read another 2 chapters and then forget I was hoping their is a easy way or I might just be unlucky and have a brain like a sieve !!!

Also many thanks for the Sub-Netting Links I don't think I have had Brain Ache studying that since I left school. If theirs one thing I have learnt from studying for this Exam STAY AWAY from Sub Netting. :)

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I think there are multiple ways of getting these numbers inside your head ;)

1. Read, memorize and repeat.

2. The preferred way: use them, try connecting to the most common ports using telnet for example and other utilities such as ftp. If you are 'lucky' to have a home network try blocking ports and look at the results.

3. Write all the ports and their purpose on small cards and play trivia with it.

4. Should I create a quiz using our test engine focussing only on well-known ports? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Port quiz sounds like a good idea boss..
  • Options
    Ok, I think I can do this pretty fast, I'll try to upload it today. :) it will ask the port number for every protocol and service (and/or vice versa) listed in the CompTIA Network+ objectives. (28 so far... icon_wink.gif )
  • Options
    Ok, I've cut it down to 15.

The quiz can be accessed here
    (don't forget there is a printer-friendly version on the end/review page of the quiz.)
    If anyone thinks I should add more ports (or remove some ;) ) please let me know.

Also if y'all find this easy to use for memorizing stuff and you want more quizzes like this one, let me know also.

Have fun and make those well-known ports 'well-known' ;)
  • Options
    Many Thanks for the Quiz I have found it useful.

I have put of my Exam till the 3rd of January as I still think I need more time to study. I found the Test on Mike Myers Book (Network+) quite Easy compared to some of the test on Sites like these. Has anyone completed and passed this Exam just using the Mike Myers Book ???
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    speaking of network-orientated quizzes, has anybody tried http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/network/game/game.htm ?
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    Webmaster wrote:
    Ok, I've cut it down to 15.

The quiz can be accessed here
    If anyone thinks I should add more ports (or remove some ;) ) please let me know.

Also if y'all find this easy to use for memorizing stuff and you want more quizzes like this one, let me know also.

This quiz is great and yes, it is easy to use for memorizing. However, I haven't taken the Net + yet...still a week or so away prolly, but I don't think all these ports are necessary to learn for the exam...are they???

I mean some of the main ones to know include FTP, Telnet, SMTP, HTTP,HTTPS, POP3, and NNTP...are there any others to concentrate on?

Thanks icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Except maybe the ports for WINS, PPTP and L2TP, you should really know these ones for the exam(-objectives :) )

Not only to cover exam objective 2.5 and 2.6 but also to cover part of 3.10 Given a scenario, predict the impact of a particular security implementation on network functionality (e.g. blocking port numbers, encryption, etc.).

( www.comptia.com/certification/Network/objectives.asp )