Options

Need help with disaster recovery!!

Hi, my friends machines hard drive wont boot windows but thats the the problem is, the problem is i need to get to the data on the HDD and need to know if i can put the drive in as a slave in my own machine and burn the data to disk, i can fit the drive etc but when i put it in it doesnt show up in windows how can i get it to show up without a format thatll wipe the important info on the machine.

one more thing. on an evaluation copy of 2000 can u install programs such as word etc as it wont let me and can i get a program to change the serial without a reinstall as i have a legit serial i wanna put on.

pleas help as im not an expert on MS platforms!!
Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    First right click on My Computer and go to Manage. Click on Disk Management, which is under the Storage tree. Then goto Action, which is part of the top menu, and click on rescan disks. Now right click the new disk as select Import Foreign Disk. This should be all that you need to do to complete this task.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    hey thanks cheeblie, ur a star what about the evaluation copy of windows u know anything bout that?
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    I don't really know anything about the evaluation version of 2000 Server. Sorry icon_cry.gif .

Cheeblie
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    can i install windows on a slave drive while the drive is in my computer then put the HDD into another pc as i havent got access to the other pc at this moment?

I want to be able to install XP or 2000 onto the drive i have set as slave in my computer without changin it to master and then put it in as master into anohter machine? Is this poss if so how shall i go bout it?

really need to start MS course track to get into this stuff!