Options

has anybody had issue with simulator routing on the ccna????

pacificapacifica Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am freaking out. I have been cramming for this test for the past 4 months. I have read both Cisco books and the Lamelle book (Which is much better in my opinion)and I have both the boson ccnp netsim and the Routersim certsim and have worked these simulaters intensley, anyway I just got back from taking the exam and got an 83. This is the second time I have taken it. Last time I had a 81 so the 83 is an improvment over that but stil not good enough.

I am having major issues with the flash router functionality that Cisco uses. I had a question....url=http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7268]sim details removed[/url

I have totally worked the ccnp netsim $ router sim from boson and I have a old 2500 router at my desk at work. I am so frustrated right now!!!!!!!

Hopefully some one has some usefull suggestions as how to overcome this issue????

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pacifica wrote:
    I have totally worked the ccnp netsim $ router sim from boson and I have a old 2500 router at my desk at work.
    You probably need to work the Simulators and that 2500 some more. If you type into the Simulator or 2500 what you you typed here (and other discussion forums), you'd get the same thing you got on the exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess I should "qualify" the answer here.....

If you only study using the Boson Simulator, you may hit a problem where the Simulator doesn't use all the commands that are available in the IOS command set.

If you get used to using abbreviated versions of commands, you may hit the problem that pacifica hit....

If you use "route" instead of "router" (as in "router rip") it may work in Boson.... but in a real IOS, "route" is ambiguous with the "route-map" command and is not a valid "short-cut" command.
    Router(config)#route rip
    % Ambiguous command:  "route rip"
    Router(config)#route?
    route-map  router

Router(config)#router rip
    Router(config-router)#

The solution is to use the TAB for command completion, or use the ? if something doesn't work that you expect to work. The TAB won't "complete" the route command, because it is still ambiguous.

Another reason real hardware (or Dynamips/Dynagen) is better then the Simulators.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!