Writing on the 15th of Dec

mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Currently I'm using th MCSE core books (MSPress), along with the Measure Up tests that came with it.

I also set up the 2k3 server as my DHCP/DNS server in my lab and everything works *including a fickle XboX360*

I'm working through the labs and chapters in the books, but I don't feel like I'm getting that strong of an edge using it. I know there are some more exam oriented questions at the end of the book and i'm not quite there yet.

Any suggestions for places to look and learn before I write? I do have a month, but I'd like to smash this exam.... so any hints and suggestions would be great.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your bank can take the hit, CBT Nuggets are a great video resource that helps the visual learner. It is an excellent supplemental resource. It is good that you are doing labs. Many people unfortunately just read and try taking the exams with zero hands on experience. The problem is, they still don't really know how to do the work.

The 290 questions in the back of the book were actually pretty well written. Adding this in with a practice exam product such as Transcenders is most beneficial. One word of advice, however. Make sure you study as much as possible before doing practice exams. Many people will use practice exams during their study which causes them to just memorize questions/answers instead of properly testing their readiness. Also, when you go through the practice questions, make sure you understand why your answer was correct and why the incorrect answers were incorrect. If you don't understand the topic, make sure you go re-study that section in the book, or go research that topic on technet.

Good luck!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright.

5 Sims, they managed to stack the last 4 questions i had with sims... i thought i got through the exam without them.

The sims were actually kinda fun, and really, I'd prefer the entire test to be Sims I found them to be extremely easy :)

0 SUS
    4 WSUS questions, they apply to SUS so don't get all out of sorts.

4 Drag and drops.

Tonne of permissions / IIS questions.

Result

885 / 1000

I'm happy with the result, and I hate to admit it, but i really REALLY enjoyed the test. I think it was done very well.
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    congrats man,

I'm taking mine on 22nd of December, and hopefully I'll fair as well as you did.

I used Syngress, Testout, and O'rielly MCSE Core Exams in a Nutshell.

Used a virtual lab.

Going through all my weak points and will take my first full on practice exam (in testout) tomorrow. Then from there, I will further pin point weaknesses.
  • mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The one thing I honestly can say about the exam is to just go with your gut, and not overthink anything.

The first answer you give is usually right more often then not.

Learn your weaknesses. The study material you have is actually GREATER then the stuff I had..

Read: outdated mspress book :P

I also used a home lab extensively.... every sim i got was knocked out of the park easy in under 2 min. Which included reading the question.

You'll do great if you read those books, study those exams, and really sink your teeth into the material.
  • CicadaCicada Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats! hopefully i'll be reporting back here with my first sitting results for 290 in about 2 more months. :)
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    icon_thumright.gif

Kick arse!!!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!