Options

Question about Win 9x boot order?

powerman7tpowerman7t Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
In my A+ book I have used to study for both tests, I noticed something odd about the boot order.

In the book, it says that Io.sys loads Config.sys before Io.sys loads msdos.sys. Was this a mistake or could this be true because config.sys is optional?

Thank you for your help! I just want to get this straightened out before my test on Wed. Otherwise, I am pretty confident about passing.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I don't really follow your question icon_sad.gif

Here is some information on boot process/boot sequence:

http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/startup.htm#IOSYS

http://safari5.bvdep.com/0789730626/ch18lev1sec1#ch18lev1sec1
    Windows 9x/Me Boot Sequence
    During the startup process of Windows 9x/Me, the OS accesses several files. These files include

Io.sys— Binary startup file

Msdos.sys— Editable text startup configuration file

Config.sys— Editable text startup device driver and configuration file

Autoexec.bat— Editable text startup configuration file
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    powerman7t wrote:
    In my A+ book I have used to study for both tests, I noticed something odd about the boot order.

In the book, it says that Io.sys loads Config.sys before Io.sys loads msdos.sys. Was this a mistake or could this be true because config.sys is optional?

Thank you for your help! I just want to get this straightened out before my test on Wed. Otherwise, I am pretty confident about passing.

I believe that was a mistake. The three files needed to boot for 9x is io.sys, msdos.sys then command.com.