A FEW QUESTIONS FOR YOU

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
now i am new to this board and need some help.

1 - Can you tell me the difference between and dsl modem , dsl router
and dsl gateway ?(difference is sourced about their layers?)

2- while we are working in a corporation and network manager why do we want to connect to the internet ? i think we only communicate our
colleagues at work with an intranet.

3- modems are used just connecting to the internet or can we use them also in WAN designs and communications?

4- if we can not telnet to the remote router because of a firewall or access-list
or route-map , how do we overcome this?

5- a friend of mine said that dsl modem runs at layer 7
and i know it runs at layer 1 , which one is true?

6- And a general question i wanna ask , for example we want to download
a file from a site and it has http and ftp mirrors and when we download
what is the difference ? i think i want to download a FILE and it has to be downloaded from ftp so difference?

i will be pleased if you reply.

Comments

• forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    ???? kobem ????
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    forbesl wrote:
    ???? kobem ????
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Looks like your on to something Forbes :)
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aircanada wrote:

1 - Can you tell me the difference between and dsl modem , dsl router
    and dsl gateway ?(difference is sourced about their layers?)

2- while we are working in a corporation and network manager why do we want to connect to the internet ? i think we only communicate our
    colleagues at work with an intranet.

3- modems are used just connecting to the internet or can we use them also in WAN designs and communications?

4- if we can not telnet to the remote router because of a firewall or access-list
    or route-map , how do we overcome this?

5- a friend of mine said that dsl modem runs at layer 7
    and i know it runs at layer 1 , which one is true?

6- And a general question i wanna ask , for example we want to download
    a file from a site and it has http and ftp mirrors and when we download
    what is the difference ? i think i want to download a FILE and it has to be downloaded from ftp so difference?

i will be pleased if you reply.

1.) DSL modems are just equipment that get the DSL signal to your location, so that you can have internet access to your LAN.

2.) What do you mean "why do you need to connect to the internet?" 99.99% of all businesses need internet access for one reason or another now. Be it email, research, web based tools, or communication with remote offices, internet access is very important.

3.) It depends on what you mean by "modem." Dialup modems can be used for both internet access and point to point connections, as can ISDN and frame relay connections.

4.) If you can't connect to a remote site due to security measures, you either have to console into the secure device locally or have someone at the remote site modify the security permissions to grant you remote access.

5.) Layer 7 is the application layer. Ask yourself this: Does a DSL modem interface software with the presentation layer? A DSL modem is a piece of hardware so by default you know it's either layer 1, 2, or 3. You can't really say "A DSL modem is in layer x, y, or z" because different modems do different stuff. Where I work we have modems that do switching and routing, so they fall into all 3 of the bottom layers.

6.) HTTP and FTP are two different TCP protocols. Downloading fia HTTP just means that you get the file from a HTTP source (typically via port 80, and over the web). FTP is another type of TCP transfer, usually between FTP servers and over port 21. They're just two methods for getting a file.

Are you persuing a certification or just trying to learn more about the technology? If you want to know more about the technology, read up on how the OSI model actually works and maybe check out www.howstuffworks.com for a general overview of LAN and WAN technologies.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    forbesl wrote:
    ???? kobem ????

how did you know me ? and why don't you like me? if the reason why is i am Turk this is so bad

i don't make anything wrong for example i don't use slang terms and other things just like this. one day will come and i help other people who wants
    help. And i want my messages back please....

• Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    aircanada wrote:

3.) It depends on what you mean by "modem." Dialup modems can be used for both internet access and point to point connections, as can ISDN and frame relay connections.

i mean dsl modems and baseband modems so?

• forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    aircanada wrote:

how did you know me ? and why don't you like me? if the reason why is i am Turk this is so bad
    It wasn't hard to tell it was you.

I have nothing against Turks. I spent over a year in Sinop and Adana and I really liked the Turks I met.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aircanada wrote:
    forbesl wrote:
    ???? kobem ????

i don't make anything wrong for example i don't use slang terms and other things just like this. one day will come and i help other people who wants

It's got nothing to do with you being Turkish or speaking in slang. It's got everything to do with you asking the most trivial, basic stuff imaginable. If you would get a book, sit down for a week or two and read it, all of the stuff you're asking would be answered. The questions you're asking are akin to going on an extremely proficient automotive forum and asking how to change one's oil, or how to drive.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    aircanada wrote:
    forbesl wrote:
    ???? kobem ????

Chill out Kobem - It's got nothing to do with where you come from, There are a lot of international users here.
    It has got more to do with your outlandish questions man.
    BTW: You cant get your messages back, they're gone and demands don't help too much either. icon_eek.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    This indeed has nothing to Turks. I happen to have two Turkish neighbor, and I've been in Turkey years ago, in Alanya. And believe it or not, I even speak a couple of words in Turkish.

This has to do with ignoring my requests to:
    - use descriptive Subject for new topics
    - stop bumping your posts if they aren't answered right away
    - stop cross-posting
    - stop starting new topics if you don't like the answers to your questions
    - stop posting network+ and off-topic topics in the CCNA forums just because it's the busiest forum
    - contact me when your account was disabled.

Güle güle.
This discussion has been closed.