Options

Should I take this?

scythetlepposcythetleppo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have absolutely no idea what CompTIA A+ Certification Hardware or CompTIA A+ Certification Software means, but they are listed in the Network Technician program I'm possibly going into. I have a few questions.

-What kind of job could I get assuming I only completed this course:

http://sviweb.sccd.ctc.edu/p_bc_aplus.htm

In other words, what exactly does this cover? And what type of difficulty is it?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, that's the million dollar question....obtaining a job comes down to a number of factors. Personality, experience, work ethic, and many times...who you know.

A+ or not, people tend to start as board swappers. Ram upgrades, GC upgrades, maybe assembling PCs. As your employer gains confidence in you and you prove yourself in dealng with clients...you'll probably see more troubleshooting and on up.

BUT

It all depends on the company. Are you working in a small computer shop? Local chain? National Chain? Private corporation help desk? etc..

As far as what CompTIA A+ is?

Visit www.comptia.org for info straight from the horses' mouth and download copies of the objectives which will provide you with a guide for what.

CompTIA provides vendor neutral exams that measure a candidate proficiency with each topic. Many people start with A+, progress to NET+ and then venture into the Microsoft exams and then to Cisco. The best path for you will be the one that matches what you enjoy within IT. Not everyone needs an A+. A+ and NET+ or A+ and Server+ can be used as an elective toward the MSCA.

Lots of possibilities, but there isn't a magic cert nor a magic number of certs that will get you the 'best' job. That will come down to you :)

HTH
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    scythetlepposcythetleppo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok thanks, can you tell me what companies / types of companies would hire for these board swappers? I live in Seattle area.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ok thanks, can you tell me what companies / types of companies would hire for these board swappers? I live in Seattle area.

You'll have to go in and apply for work. You'll never know what you will find.

and I've never been to Seatlle nor ever plan too, so I couldn't tell you what type of stores exist. You may try the phone book or even just go to some of the stores you already know
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any company that has at least 1 computer...which means just about anybody.