Thought I was ready. . .

cdean84cdean84 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took the Core today and failed. 470! 80% of the topics/subjects I focused on studying weren't even on the test. I had CPU pin questions, CNR question, etc. DAMN! Only a few IRQ/DMA/I/O questions. Try it again in a few weeks

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

But, you have been thumped by the evil and sinister "luck of the draw".

Best of luck next time!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    CPUs was also my weakest area when studying for my core exam. My then instructor told me that I'll probably only get one or two questions on CPUs, so I shouldn't worry about it. Well...I got 10 CPU questions. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Fortunately for me I was strong in all other areas of the exam which carried me through to a pass.

I also know what it's like to fail an exam on my first try. On my first attempt I had barely missed passing my CCNA exam. Which in hindsight was a good thing, because it allowed me to focus on the areas I was weak in. After two weeks of eating, breathing and living Cisco...I was able to kick butt on my retest.

Take this opportunity to focus on your weak areas, and I'm sure in a few weeks you'll be on here posting about you passing your core exam.

Good luck!
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    That sucks icon_cry.gif

Don't give up though
    Good luck for your next attempt. icon_thumright.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    sorry ot hear that but just go back and nail it now
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sorry to hear about your first attempt icon_sad.gif

Perhaps your expirence will serve as a reminder to others that knowing the objectives even the stuff that seems like a waste is worth it. With a 480, you should do just fine on your next attempt
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • cdean84cdean84 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the support. I plan on retaking in about 2 weeks. I gotta get Core and OS by the end of december. Does anyone know what happens if I get my 2003 Core but not my 2003 OS before they switch to the 2006 standards? Can I still finish the 2003 OS or is there a new 2006 OS test?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19107

There is to be an overlap....depending on where you live. Just focus on passing and not worrying about failing and what if you run out of time. Takes too much energy to do that :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • pcpartsgalorepcpartsgalore Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah me too i got a score of 475, had a lot of network,scsi,printer questions.
    I went into the exam thinking i had all areas covered, not so.
    Bluetooth came up and even one i remember on event viewer.
    I have to be honest and say i had not done my theory, too much hardware testing in the last few months.
    Will try again in around 2 weeks.
    I did pass it several years back, but it expired as i did not do the OS in time.
  • bluskiebluskie Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought I was going to fail the Hardware but I passed with a 536. Scraping by. I thought for sure I was going to fail. However the OS I thought for sure i was going to pass. I ended up failing it. I am retaking it. I will PASS!!! icon_exclaim.gif I failed the os with 484 wish i knew how close i was to passing.
    I passed the Core last week, AIO book really did help to refresh on a lot of things, thanks to all for the help and good luck to others.
    I plan on taking the OS next month, so now its back to the AIO.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Sorry to hear about the fail.

Read up on the objectives and knock it out!

You can do it!!!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    bluskie wrote:
    I thought I was going to fail the Hardware but I passed with a 536. Scraping by. I thought for sure I was going to fail. However the OS I thought for sure i was going to pass. I ended up failing it. I am retaking it. I will PASS!!! icon_exclaim.gif I failed the os with 484 wish i knew how close i was to passing.
    That is not that bad. A pass is a pass! :) A classmate of mine got a 515 in his Core Hardware exam. He told us that he almost died when he saw that. I wish you luck for your OS exam.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
    I passed the Core last week, AIO book really did help to refresh on a lot of things, thanks to all for the help and good luck to others.
    I plan on taking the OS next month, so now its back to the AIO.

Failed the OS last week, 484 if i recall, too much online gaming i suspose:)

Will post in the proper section when i retake and hopefully pass.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear about your result, dont let it get you down, just get back in there and nail it next time, let us know how you get on

good luck
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep, the CPU stuff was the most difficult for me too. Don't lose hope. Study some more & give it another try in the near future. Don't wait too long!
  • gsomangsoman Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear that you fail on your first attempt, i did too back before the 2003 version. Today i took the core again in almost 6 years and i barely passed. I got 595, most of the questions i got were troubleshooting, wireless, and alot of customer services questions. Not alot of IRQ, CPUs or even diagrams of identifying the parts of the motherboard. I did not feel like i was going to pass the test, but luckily i did. So good luck on your next attempt, i think you will definitely pass this time. Wish me luck on my OS.