Options

Anybody speak Microsofteese?

I am reading my MSpress 215 book and I am perusing the chapter on MS2k files systems.. Here is the first paragraph on reparse points.

Reparse points are new file system objects in NTFS used in Windows 2k. A reparse point is a file or a directory that has user-controlled data stored in the system-administered reparse attribue. The reparse attribute is used by file system filters to enhance the normal behavior of files or directories present in the underlying file system. Thus, a file or a directory that contains a reparse point acquires additional behavior not present in the underlying file system.

What is this????

I checked out my sybex book on 70-215, I could not find this topic. Seems they couldnt understand microsoft either...

Just ranting and raving
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Have you read the remaining paragraphs? ;) I got the same book... I agree they made it sound more difficult than it is...

A file or folder can be a reparse point, when this file or folder is accessed, the system comes to a 'point' where it will read the reparse attribute and 'reparse' the actually location of the file or folder to the application that is requesting it (ie Explorer, Word), the file or folder can be on a tape device (Remote Storage needs reparse points) or on a different volume (Volume mount points need reparse points), but a user doesn't notice this...

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    yes sir, i read the remaining paragraphs. Still didnt help much. I was a bit tired though, i will have another go.. YOu cleared it up a bit too.
  • Options
    I wouldn't give it too much attention though... you need to know it's there, and only since NTFS 5.0 and that it is used for Remote Storage and Volumes Mount points... it's not something you configure, manage, troubleshoot etc.. 'just' a software feature. More details would be appropriate for MCSD for example.
  • Options
    Thank you very much, i will take your advice. I wont concentrate too hard on it.

OH yeah, in this book it is asking me to set up two servers. Do you think it is necessary? I dont have that many computers...
    :)
  • Options
    Not necessary, but it can make a huge difference. I think on of the main advantages of the MS kits are the exercises... performing them will make it stick more easier. Might be worth to buy an old pentium... also for other planned exams perhaps..
  • Options
    Well i currently have three computers, my computer runs xp, wifes computer runs xp, and server runs 2k. all are capable.. What about possible dual booting mine? I dont like the thought of this because I will have to totally format my computer again.. But it is an idea... Or i can use an extra hardrive and disk boot it.. Any ideas?
  • Options
    pandimus wrote:
    Or i can use an extra hardrive and disk boot it..

Sounds like a good idea. In addition you could buy two brackets and make the hard disks 'removable' so you can easily swap them... that would be the safest method. Just pull out your disk with XP, place the 2k server disk and your simply not able to harm the XP install.
  • Options
    Better idea, I have a dual slot1 p3 500 mb, that is my server. I will buy a new MB and case and I have plenty of ram laying around. and a few hardrives. I will put a terminator in one of the slots in current system, and use processor for a new one. That should build up a new system under 40 bucks. That is the going price for a harddrive swap chassis.
  • Options
    Hey webmaster,

what about vmware? Think this will cut it?