MS Press Question

EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm a bit stumped with a question I encountered within the MS Press Book. This takes place within a Server 2003 domain environment.

Question:

What type of profile will be the most useful to maintain a locked-down desktop common to all sales representatives?

a. Local Profile
b. Local, Mandatory Profile
c. The All Users profile
d. Preconfigured roamining group profile
e. Preconfigured roamining mandatory profile

Answer: b

E. sounds like a much quicker way to do this. It doesn't say anything about all sales users using one computer. Wouldn't it be easier to just preconfigure a profile, copy it to the server and set the Permitted to Use option to Builtin\Users, rename the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man, and each of the Sales users to that specific profile?

Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I remember seeing this question and having the same response as you. It's definitely E. If you have a sales department of 500 users. B wouldn't make sense since you'd have to wait for all 500 profiles to be created and then go rename EVERY single one to ntuser.man. Preconfigured mandatory means a roaming mandatory profile that was preset. This way you have 1 profile and it's set as ntuser.man. The profile will download locally and since changes to the profile aren't made, the traffic of updating the profile won't be an issue and it just saved you tons of time.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks icroyal. That was my thinking exactly!