Options

Email Signature Block

2»

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to put certs in my email sig but at some point I thought it looked ignorant and I stopped doing it. I might would put a cissp, ccie, or mca in there though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    garv221 wrote:
    I agree Johan.

Famous- You got a little carried away and off topic. Let me reel you back in. What I mean is those positions are obtained status. The business world refers to people by job titles. People put job titles in their signature, some people need to validate their job title because they have certain prerequisites that must be obtained to professionaly and legaly do the work ie ~ esq, cpa and md. An attorney cannot go to court w/out the bar, Accountant cannot legally process certain taxes without a CPA and one must go through med school and obtain an MD. You, me and every person in IT knows we do not have to pass exam or prerequisite to work on systems/networks. It is the root of all the heated certs vs. school vs experience arguments. Have agood weekend.

I didn't get off-topic, just responded to EXACTLY what you typed. Those people who need the degree and certifications to legally do their job have the CHOICE as well. Just like any MCSA, MCSE, CCIE, or a guy who worked hard for a bachelor's or masters.

Have a good weekend as well!! I don't know about you, but I'm hunting for a PS3 on sale locally :D . May just say forget it and just buy the X360 instead.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I won't be placing my certs and degree in my signature. My boss (CIO) said it isn't needed right now, but as the department grows, and the contacts/vendors we deal with for our city expand, we will probably do it on both sigs and business cards. He said that he used to do it, but he has so many it clutters up. He also said it was up to me, but it isn't needed right now.He will give me a list of contacts that we will use them for when emailing...consultants/software vendors, fiber infrastructure people, etc.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    XBOX 360 FTW :P

Ya - my post isn't off-topic
  • Options
    bmauro wrote:

I may have to start a thread in Off-Topic to discuss the XBOX 360 :P . I've researched the PS3 since E3 2006 earlier this year, but now I'm not too sure. Haven't dealt with XBOX ever. I may just support MS and get the XBOX 360...I definitely need a gaiming system for my 56" 1080P.

Hi-Def gaming for the WIN.
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    famosbrown wrote:
    I'm waiting for someone with CCIE, MCSE, CCNP, B.S.,

Someone already has (Keenon)
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    orion82698 wrote:
    famosbrown wrote:
    I'm waiting for someone with CCIE, MCSE, CCNP, B.S.,

Someone already has (Keenon)

You are right...and he says that he places it in his email signature :) . Quote me thoroughly and it ends with "etc come to the thread and say that they don't...."
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Well I dont do it either, its not common in the UK at all, infact last time someone did it he was rediculed by the office because he was proud of his shiny new CCNA. Business Cards look ok, I don't have them on mine, I will put CCIE on it when the day comes, but not on my Email sig.

:)

oh and for the record CCNA is not the same level as Net+

And CCIE is not even in the same class as MCSE (yes I know I dont have MCSE, but I have 2 of the exams and decided I wanted to focus on Cisco)

and do have a Degree
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    wildfire wrote:
    Well I dont do it either, its not common in the UK at all, infact last time someone did it he was rediculed by the office because he was proud of his shiny new CCNA. Business Cards look ok, I don't have them on mine, I will put CCIE on it when the day comes, but not on my Email sig.

:)

oh and for the record CCNA is not the same level as Net+

And CCIE is not even in the same class as MCSE (yes I know I dont have MCSE, but I have 2 of the exams and decided I wanted to focus on Cisco)

and do have a Degree

Why ridicule someone for achieving something? I think that is just wrong icon_eek.gif !! The guy is happy and probably worked very hard for it. Most of the threads on this forum shows the enthusiasm and excitement after someone passes an exam.

Well...I think this thread can be closed...I guess it all comes down to personal preference and the others around in the workplace. Thanks for all fo the replies :D !!!
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I didnt say I took part in redicule him! and dont condone it, I was just making the point that at my work its not the done thing :D infact I felt sorry for the poor guy.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    wildfire wrote:
    I didnt say I took part in redicule him! and dont condone it, I was just making the point that at my work its not the done thing :D infact I felt sorry for the poor guy.

LOL...okay :D !! I would have felt sorry for the guy too.
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:
    bmauro wrote:

I may have to start a thread in Off-Topic to discuss the XBOX 360 :P . I've researched the PS3 since E3 2006 earlier this year, but now I'm not too sure. Haven't dealt with XBOX ever. I may just support MS and get the XBOX 360...I definitely need a gaiming system for my 56" 1080P.

Hi-Def gaming for the WIN.

By the way...off topic, but I went with the XBOX 360 today. I dropped over 700 on it. Extra wireless controller, rechargeable batteries, extra headsets, 5 games, and I haven't even bought XBOX Live yet. I am still going to get PS3 when it is available so I can use it as a Blu-Ray player and MGS4. The picture and gameplay is GREAT in HD. The wife agreed since I told her that Tomb Raider was available on the XBOX 360 :D .

Okay, I will end the off-topic...just wanted to finish the off-topic post I started.
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Congrats! What games did you pick up?

Enjoy your purchase!
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have many certs, two BS degrees and one MBA. How much of it goes into my email signature? None. The truth be told, half my reasons for continuing to obtain certs are so that I can help other people do the same, and to challenge myself. At a certain point, your reputation will dwarf your certs and degrees, and your certs and degrees will be more like "icing on the cake" and not "the cake".

I do remember how excited I was when I got my first cert though and I know some people go through that same thing. As an employer, I wouldn't think any less of someone who sent me an email with their certs in their signature. It shows me one of two things; Either they're very proud of what they've accomplished (I like hiring those types icon_wink.gif ), or they're arrogant. Me being the optimist I am, I would probably just assume it's someone proud of their work. Did I use to put my certs in my email sig? You betcha!! But I certainly don't do it now as 90% of my electronic correspondence is strictly business communications that usually have nothing to do with technology. And to top it off, the people I might be communicating with have no idea what any of them are anyway.

A little humor here. We recently busted a guy who was religously using dating sites from work (which was strictly prohibited in the company's policy). He was a network engineer and guess what, on all his online dating ads, he had all his certs listed........ "Please call me, you won't be sorry, I'm a hot IT guy with MCSE, CCNP, A+, NET+" I almost died of laughter when I saw this.
  • Options
    bmauro wrote:
    Congrats! What games did you pick up?

Enjoy your purchase!

I got a bundle. It came with Ridge Racer 6, Gun, and Condemned. The guy also threw in Tomb Raider for free...don't know if it was by mistake or not. I then searched many stores in my area, and finally found Gears of War. My wife and I were playing it,b ut I didn't like it due to the vertical split screen in co-op mode. It's pretty nice though. I can't wait until the PS3 becomes widely available and all of the bugs are fixed. I'm trying to wait out the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war to see who wins or if they will co-exist. But yeah...again, off-topic :D .

Famos
  • Options
    base2base2 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've done it in a previous job because most of my shop were morons who didn't have any real techie expertise.

Now I work on a team with 5 CCIEs on it. Nobody puts it in their email sig. None of use who are Sr Net Engineers list the "sr" part either. Its kind of weird but I guess we all know who we are. Sometimes all the certs look pretentious. I think if you were a CCIE you could/should put it in your block (if your a cisco guy).

Masters degree? I'm closing in on mine and I don't think its appropriate unless you work in academia. You don't list it until you have a PhD (then people know you aren't a Mr/Mrs anymore).
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    base2 wrote: »
    I've done it in a previous job because most of my shop were morons who didn't have any real techie expertise.

Now I work on a team with 5 CCIEs on it. Nobody puts it in their email sig. None of use who are Sr Net Engineers list the "sr" part either. Its kind of weird but I guess we all know who we are. Sometimes all the certs look pretentious. I think if you were a CCIE you could/should put it in your block (if your a cisco guy).

Masters degree? I'm closing in on mine and I don't think its appropriate unless you work in academia. You don't list it until you have a PhD (then people know you aren't a Mr/Mrs anymore).

I don't list my masters,bachelors or any other high end cert I have. I find only the junior folk do it to put a little weight behind what they're saying?
    I don't use my sig as my personal advertising space.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to do it back in my noob days on the help desk. Now a days our department makes fun of some of the guys in other departments that do it.

I just have my name, department, contact number, Level 80 Resto Druid icon_wink.gif