Options

DIY Notebook

cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
Does anyone know of a vender that has bare bones notebook that will support 2 hard drives and atleast 2 GB of RAM???

Thanks in advance. :D
And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    custom notebooks are popular in Asia and Europe.

2 harddrives are not common I dont think...any particular reason may I ask?

as for 2gb of ram, that's not a big problem, you could customize that with many vendors, Dell, and Apple for example.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    I'm was planning to use the second drive to install VMWare to build a virtural Windows 2003 network. Exchange, DNS, AD, etc... I plan to use to design and test theories before doing it in the lab. I'm kind of on the road a lot so this would help. You know...down time in the Hotel!!!

C

Also...I can Ghost the drive in different intervals for recovery purposes. icon_wink.gif

• Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    actually 2 hard drives isn't uncommon either, I have a fujitsu N6420 that has two 100gb drives, first drive is for the system, second is devoted to my vmware virtual lab, works great!!!!

2gb ram, 19" widescreen, I can't complain.....i'm impressed with the fujitsu laptop, I really like, i'd hate to see it go if I ever leave my job icon_cry.gif

icon_wink.gif
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just go with a large single hard drive, max out the memory, go dual core for sure. if you want to run a bunch of machines. No need for a separate hard drive or even a separate partition.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I see HP has a laptop that has 2 HD also.

• Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, but if you buy an HP laptop and register it, the board of directors could decide to steal your identity. icon_rolleyes.gif A couple scapegoats and one hefty fine later and nobody even has to admit any "wrongdoing". So I doubt you'd be able to do anything about it either.

http://english.people.com.cn/200612/09/eng20061209_330508.html

The big corporation is always right. You're always wrong. And the lawyers and politicians (usually one and the same) keep making out like bandits.

Just another example of our legal injustice system at work... icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Also...I can Ghost the drive in different intervals for recovery purposes. icon_wink.gif

I haven't used VMWare all too much, but I know that with Virtual PC you install the machines onto virtual hard drives, files saved on your host computer, so there's no need for seperate partitions. You should be able to ghost the virtual hard disks as if they were physical hard drives, regardless of the hardware configuration of your host computer.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
This discussion has been closed.